Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a race (came in 3rd) but I noticed something I never had before. Everyone had eith Record, Chorus, or Dura-Ace on their bikes. I know its not the bike that counts but I was curious. Does anyone else race on Ultegra or Centaur for that matter. Im a junior racer so I sort of rely on my dad and my low wage job for my racing.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
It's time to get a new Dad......
Don't you know that juniors are supposed to start up with Record equipment and move up from there. I remember 10-15 years ago, when juniors were happy to have a frame with butted tubes. They usually used cast-off equipment that was out of date. If they were serious, they got a job in a bike shop, where they were always buying things with next weeks wages.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're fine

I raced on Ultegra for years and still have some components on my bike that are Ultegra and love them. I also raced on 105 for a while and had no problems there either. Anything 105 or higher will work fine for you for a long time, so don't sweat it. And also, if you ever see a DA STI/brake hood smashed after a crash, be glad it's not yours.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I sprung for a DA RD...

but all the other components I race are Ultegra.

TF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Use your Ultegra

Ultegra works good and is durable. Fact of life, race bikes get crashed, put the nice stuff on your distance/weekend bike where you can enjoy it and not destroy it. My crit bike has an inexpensive frame with Ultegra, I do use good wheels though Zipp 404s and Rolf Elans.
My distance/weekend bike is full carbon with record. I would hate to see my good bike destroyed. Think of it that way, Crashes are a fact of racing.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
You came in third, you beat alot of the others, so it is obvious to you that it doesn't matter, right? Don't worry.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
I race with a hodgepod of Campy

Mostly Veloce and Mirage.

Durace, Record or Chorus will not make you any faster on the bike, period. At best these parts may save a couple of ounces (one or two gulps from the water bottle). The effect of that weight savings is as close to zero as you can get. As long as your group shifts reliably without dropping a chain it is perfectly fine for racing.

If you got a third in your race, you are doing good. It's 98% rider and about 2% bike (assuming you have reasonable equipment) even though the marketing hype wants to tell you differently.

Focus on training and the races and not the equipment and you will do well. If you feel the you must spend money on equipment then look at real aero wheels, not a new group. (not the Chi Chi designer wheels, but real racing wheels). You can find some deals on ebay and else where on used racing wheels that are a couple of years past State of the Art.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
count your blessings

I was 36 before I could afford a full Ultegra bike. That was 10 years ago and I'm just now getting my first full D/A equipped bike.

Sounds like you're starting off just fine!

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Dude, I whoop ass with Tiagra and 105 on my bike. Only thing that matters is if it is reliable, and that stuff is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
trek5900cyclist said:
I just finished a race (came in 3rd) but I noticed something I never had before. Everyone had eith Record, Chorus, or Dura-Ace on their bikes. I know its not the bike that counts but I was curious. Does anyone else race on Ultegra or Centaur for that matter. Im a junior racer so I sort of rely on my dad and my low wage job for my racing.
As my coach says, and I have to agree with him "A bike is not going to win you a race, but it might make you lose it". As long as your frame is stiff enough for sprints, shifters/derailleurs do their job, and your brakes have some stopping power, keep riding Ultegra. Spend that extra money on racing, since actually racing will make you a better rider, and not $1000+ gruppos.

FWIW - I ride full Ultegra, and have won a number of races on them. For my track bike (specialized Langster) I ride it with stock components (Specialized cranks, Alex rims with no name hubs and spokes, etc) and I was one of the strongest riders at the last race.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts