Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some help regarding upgrading my component group. My 9 speed group finally faded away and am now seriously debating whether to change to a shimano 105 5700 vs SRAM Rival. Anybody out there who has made the switch form shimano to sram or vice versa. How would you compare the groups in terms of hood comfort, brake lever and shifter reach, ease of shifting, rear derailleur shifts under load and anything and everything under the sun that would help me with this decision.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The best advise you can get for selecting Shimano vs. Sram is to find an LBS and go ride a bike equipped with each. The hoods are similar in shape and shifting is different (physical application on the shifters).

I swapped out Shimano for Sram because I like how Sram shifts. Its precise and has a true mechanical feel. As opposed to a smoother, more finicky feel IMHO of Shimano.

Others will chime in that they prefer one over the other, but all should agree that you should try them for yourself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i did try them and liked the shifting of the sram but the hoods of the shimano. Unfortunately, testing shifters in the LBS is only limited to the 5 minute parking lot ride. I was wondering how they would feel after an hour or two of riding. Since I am more familiar with Shimano and have never tried SRAM on a long ride, I am also wondering how easy or different it is to transition to SRAM. Perhaps the best solution is just to get another bike!!!!

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
TheCapMan said:
Thanks, i did try them and liked the shifting of the sram but the hoods of the shimano. Unfortunately, testing shifters in the LBS is only limited to the 5 minute parking lot ride. I was wondering how they would feel after an hour or two of riding. Since I am more familiar with Shimano and have never tried SRAM on a long ride, I am also wondering how easy or different it is to transition to SRAM. Perhaps the best solution is just to get another bike!!!!
In my experience, the shift from Shimano to SRAM is really fast - about 20 minutes to an hour, or a ride.

The shift from SRAM back to Shimano can be pretty ugly, that's taken me 2 or 3 days sometimes.

(I own both SRAM and Shimano bikes.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you mind the cables sticking out at the front? SRAM is neat and tidy unlike the Shimano unless you go for the Dura Ace electronic type. Some say SRAM is more of a pain to adjust than Shimano, I guess there's pros and cons for both. I had Shimano 105 and went to SRAM Force. No complaints so far accept that the SRAM seems to need more care and maintenance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Timbuctoo said:
Do you mind the cables sticking out at the front? SRAM is neat and tidy unlike the Shimano unless you go for the Dura Ace electronic type. Some say SRAM is more of a pain to adjust than Shimano, I guess there's pros and cons for both. I had Shimano 105 and went to SRAM Force. No complaints so far accept that the SRAM seems to need more care and maintenance.
All of Shimano's latest versions have under the tape routing now. Dura Ace 7900, Ultegra 6700 and 105 5700.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Take a bike out with them and see. I liked SRAM and anticipate an upcoming build with Rival. My other bikes have 6600 and 7800 shifters. I doubt I'll be a total convert to change the other bikes over.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
I've ridden ultegra, 105, and rival drivetrains. I ultimately chose rival because it shifted faster and more precise. It told me which gear i was in instantly. People tend to think "smooth like butter is better", but i dont think so. i want to be able to feel my chain move and snap into the next gear. and with Rival, you can do that.

Plus, Rival is much lighter than 105 and even lighter than ultegra.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input....how big a difference in terms of comfort for the hoods after at least an hour or two of riding. How subtle are the differences in ergonomics of the hoods or does it matter at all. I like the sound of the more precise drivetrain shifting from SRAM. Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I went from Sora to SRAM Rival and I must say that I am happy as can be about switching. It took about 15 min of riding to get used to the shifting on the rival drive train but man it's so much better for me. I would take the suggestion of riding the SRAM and making an informed decision.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smooth shimano...precise sram sums it up.
Equally good on function but the precision of sram is comforting and gives a bit of confidence in gear switching which I think what draws riders toward sram.. Did notice shimano needed less adjustments time to time.
No transitions needed in switching. Its so easy to like sram but so hard to hate shimano. In the end you gotta have both just as you said.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I like the wider hoods on the SRAM shifters and the higher pivot of the levers make braking on the hoods easier too. You'll find that the SRAM will downshift alot faster than the Shimano.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Timbuctoo said:
No complaints so far accept that the SRAM seems to need more care and maintenance.

I've found this to be the other way around. Been on Sram products for over 3 years now - road and mountain - and have found that Sram is a kind of set and forget once the setup is straightened out.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Its all on the mechanic doing the work. If the person setting up the Sram stuff knows what they are doing...its going to be a one deal. Well...one time after the cable stretch!:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
estone2 said:
In my experience, the shift from Shimano to SRAM is really fast - about 20 minutes to an hour, or a ride.

The shift from SRAM back to Shimano can be pretty ugly, that's taken me 2 or 3 days sometimes.

(I own both SRAM and Shimano bikes.)
Agreed, after going from Shimano 105 to Rival, it's very difficult to switch back, I was tuning up my girlfriends bike with Shimano and kept hitting the inside lever to may it shift up but nothing would happen then I realized it was not like SRAM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts