Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
banned from the museum
Joined
·
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep this in the lounge.

The casting that works against the spring on a front derailler broke clean off. I know this is Tiagra, and I know I paid about $10 for the part. But two months + to warranty what is clearly a design/casting issue? Come on!

That Sram Apex group is looking better all of the time.
 

·
Mehpic
Joined
·
8,162 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
Please keep this in the lounge.

The casting that works against the spring on a front derailler broke clean off. I know this is Tiagra, and I know I paid about $10 for the part. But two months + to warranty what is clearly a design/casting issue? Come on!

That Sram Apex group is looking better all of the time.

we have had two of these broken castings in the past month at the LBS. one on a tiagra and one on a sora derailleur.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
SRAM > Shimano


I will have to say I've got a Shimano XT 29er wheelset that I really like though. Cheap and pretty light.
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,192 Posts
Jim311 said:
SRAM > Shimano
I've always used a Shimano Ultegra chain on my Ultegra cassette but the LBS was out of them and I didn't want to spring for Dura Ace, so I bought a SRAM chain instead. Never used one before, but the LBS said it should work fine on the cassette so I thought I would give it a shot.

Hey, wasn't it a SRAM chain that messed up Andy Schleck in the TDF? Man, if this SRAM chain costs me the yellow jersey I'm going to be really p.o.'d!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,737 Posts
same thing happened to my Sora FD. I just sucked it up and shelled out the $20 for a new one ;)
 

·
banned from the museum
Joined
·
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2cflyr said:
we have had two of these broken castings in the past month at the LBS. one on a tiagra and one on a sora derailleur.
I've fixed two in the past few months as well. This is the third I've seen.

I really do want to try that Apex group. The gearing should be really good for much of the riding I do.
 

·
banned from the museum
Joined
·
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
azpeterb said:
I've always used a Shimano Ultegra chain on my Ultegra cassette but the LBS was out of them and I didn't want to spring for Dura Ace, so I bought a SRAM chain instead. Never used one before, but the LBS said it should work fine on the cassette so I thought I would give it a shot.

Hey, wasn't it a SRAM chain that messed up Andy Schleck in the TDF? Man, if this SRAM chain costs me the yellow jersey I'm going to be really p.o.'d!

I won't touch a Shimano chain or casette. Shimano drivertains work better with Sram casettes and chains.

Edited:: even I couldn't make sense of that.
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,192 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I won't touch a Shimano chain or casette. Sram shifts better with Shimano shifters.
Well, to make things interesting I have Campy shifters. As a matter of fact, the left shifter is Campy Veloce, the right shifter is Campy Daytona, the front derr. is Campy Chorus, the rear derr. is Campy Daytona, the cassette is Shimano Ultegra and now I'll be using a SRAM chain. Talk about a mutt of a bike! :)
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
Jim311 said:
SRAM > Shimano


I will have to say I've got a Shimano XT 29er wheelset that I really like though. Cheap and pretty light.
Hm. A buddy of mine bought a Rival gruppo and there was play in the RD straight out of the box.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
rogger said:
Hm. A buddy of mine bought a Rival gruppo and there was play in the RD straight out of the box.

In reality I think both SRAM or Shimano will get you down the road just fine, SRAM just happens to be my preference as I've broken my fair share of Shimano parts.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
I will also sing the praises of the SRAM warranty department. I had a Rockshox Domain 318 fork with a blown rebound damper. Sent it in and it didn't spend 24 hours in their warranty department before it was repaired and sent back to me, no questions asked, not a cent out of pocket.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
My Campy f-der broke earlier this year.

It was the special black anodized (?) stuff form the Black Lightning edition, so I speculate that was the root cause.

Yes, I realize this has nothing to do with the topic.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,883 Posts
I've had really great experiences, personally and professionally, with SRAM warranty as well.

They definitely knew that they were trying to build a brand, and were willing to give the benefit of the doubt on stuff. It was appreciated.

Jim311 said:
I will also sing the praises of the SRAM warranty department. I had a Rockshox Domain 318 fork with a blown rebound damper. Sent it in and it didn't spend 24 hours in their warranty department before it was repaired and sent back to me, no questions asked, not a cent out of pocket.
 

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Cue Platy rant in three...two...one...
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,231 Posts
Chain said:
I gave up my Dura Ace and upgraded to Sram Force.
Same.

Then I upgraded to Red. And built a cross bike with Force. And put Rival on my wife's bike. And then built her a cross bike with Rival.

Fantastic components with great warranty support and superb ergonomics.

I <3 SRAM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
Sorry about the problem you had with a defective part. I have 5 bikes set up with Shimano Dura Ace, 3 are 9sp so that tells you how old they are. Never had a Shimano part break on me except a Shimano chain, see below, but all I've ever used was Ultegra and now Dura Ace.
As far as Shimao cassettes and chains are concerned, I won't use them as the only chain I've ever broken in over 35 yrs of riding was a Shimano and I think their cassettes are overpriced, especially the DA. For me, its SRAM 970 and 1070 cassettes and KMC chains on all my bikes.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
SRAM chains are teh suck. Specifically the 1030. Shimano isn't much better. I'm going to try KMC or Wipperman next. I had a 9-spd SRAM chain, forget which model, break 8 or 9 rollers in the first hundred miles or so. By the time I figured out what was going on it had destroyed a chainring and cassette.
 

·
Adventure Seeker
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I won't touch a Shimano chain or casette. Shimano drivertains work better with Sram casettes and chains.
I can't agree with you there at all. My shifting wasn't as good with a SRAM cassette. The Ultegra made shifting considerably faster.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top