Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Asking for a friend (no, really! =p)

These are tubeless rims. No exposed spoke holes.

What kind of rim tape (if any) do they need? These are brand new, and there was nothing in the box.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Probably should have mentioned that my friend is running them with tubes and clinchers (if that makes a difference).

I noticed that the dura-ace (9000 series) tubeless wheelsets come with a blue rim strip, but there were none in the box with these.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the answer (posting here for future searchers)

From the user manual (which I just had a chance to sit down and read online)
http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-WH0002-08-ENG.pdf

< Tubeless wheel > CAUTION:
• Do not use rim tape. Rim tape may make it difficult to remove and install the tire, and the tire or tube may become damaged or the tires may suddenly puncture and come off, and severe injury may result.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
Hey all,

Asking for a friend (no, really! =p)

What kind of rim tape (if any) do they need? These are brand new, and there was nothing in the box.

Thanks
You don't need rim tape with these. There should already be a molded plastic strip covering the holes.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need rim tape with these. There should already be a molded plastic strip covering the holes.
There is no molded plastic strip. Itss all enclosed in aluminum. When I posted the question, I hadn't seen the wheel. I was on my way to a friends to get them mounted up. He mentiioned that there was no tape included. I just wanted to confirm before I put the tires on, which I did (see my follow up posts).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
There is no molded plastic strip. Itss all enclosed in aluminum. When I posted the question, I hadn't seen the wheel. I was on my way to a friends to get them mounted up. He mentiioned that there was no tape included. I just wanted to confirm before I put the tires on, which I did (see my follow up posts).
OK, understood.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts

They might need a short strip of Velox at the valve hole to protect the inner tube. Your friend should carefully inspect the rim to see if there are any sharp edges at the valve hole and how closely the valve stem fits. It there's a gap around the valve stem there is the risk of the tube being abraded by being forced into the gap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.