Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was never able find a lot of anything on the Vuelta Zerolites, that are available thru ebay store Bike Island. I loved the way they looked and decided to try them out. I've been running the Shimano WH-R500's for awhile on my commuter and roady. I am not going to post manufacturer specs they can be found easily. I want to give some basic real world perspective from a recreational rider.

Weight: Shimano's win, I do not weigh my stuff my bike felt a tad heavier when I pick it up between the two.(lol real technical)

Tire mounting/dismounting: Vuelta's win, no lever required putting them on and come off easier.

Speed: Vuelta's win, the cartridge bearings are way faster and silky smooth.

Ride Quality: I couldn't tell a difference both use 24rr spokes and I run 25mm tires @ 120psi.

Price: Vuelta's should win but they don't at $159.00. I picked up 3 sets of the Shimano's 1 for $97.00pr and 2 more for $77.00pr from REI on clearance. and Price point has them for $129.00pr.

Looks: Vuelta's win, The white is glossy and the thick aero bladed spokes make for a great looking package.

Durability: Equal so far, If the Shimano has a stronger 24mm tall rim I would think the Vuelta's 30mm tall rim would make up any weakness. IMO

Bottom line which ever you chose you want go wrong either way at this price. but I do prefer the Vuelta's due to just how much faster the cartridge bearings are, it far out weights the weight difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had to have the Vuelta's rear wheel tensioned and trued roughly just shy of 200 miles on them. They had about a 2 to 3mm lateral wobble and a couple of loose spokes. This is normal for just about any new wheel you will get. The front is arrow straight and no tension issues. So far so good, I am digging them for a cheap wheelset.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the Vuelta's are not what I would call reliable. I got them on 5/6/13 and now the freehub has crapped out. Sometimes (a lot) of times you don't even get what you pay for. :cryin: Hopefully the seller will take a return and I will be done with my cheap wheel experiment. If they replace them I'm not sure if I will try again or sell as fast as I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.