Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new Kurt Kinetic arrives within the next couple days and my plan is to mount my new CAAD9-5 with WH-RS20 rims to the trainer. The WH-RS20 rims have 16 spokes front/ 20 spokes rear. My concern is that I've read through searching on this forum that this particular Shimano Rim isn't the greatest for use by a large Rider. I am 230 lbs, (103.5 kilos). Due to my ongoing recovery from surgery I will not be able to ride the bike on the road for at least two more months.
Since the RS20's will not be subjected to potholes or rough roads, can I expect the rims to handle my weight for a few weeks of one hour trainer rides? My plan is to purchase Neuvation rims for actual road riding when my Doctor gives me the greenlight for road riding. If it is likely that I'll break spokes or do some kind of damage to these otherwise new rims I would just as soon order the Neuvations right away and sell the RS20's to someone much lighter than me! Has anybody ever broken a spoke while using their indoor trainer?

·
Registered
416 Posts
You should not have any problems, especially considering that the rear of the bike is held up by the trainer/axle assembly and not the tires. The only pressure on the wheel (rim/tire) is from the roller tension.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Quest: I've had a Kurt Roadmachine for 5 years and never had any problem with any wheel I've used from heavy trainer wheels to carbon race wheels during prerace warmups. You only need to put enough tension on the roller to maintain a good contact with the tire to keep it from slipping. I usually tighten mine 11/2- 2 turns maximum after the roller contacts the tire. Also, your trainer will come with a steel skewer that I suggest you use rather than any alloy skewers you may have with your wheels.Best of luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you rogerstg and cdhbrad for the input. The Roadmachine arrived yesterday and I'm setting it up later this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up on the roller tire tension too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed. No stess on the wheel at all on the trainer. My bike came with a set of Ritchey Protocol wheels. Nice but a little light for my 215lbs. I used them untill my M28s showed up without any problems.

I have the Kurt as well, but I tighten 3 turns past almost touching. Put a mark on the plastic knob and always turn the mark down. Any less tension and the tire barks from slipping on the first pedal revolution or if I sprint hard latter. Using Kenda Kalientes, so other tires may act differently.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.