Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Believe it when I see it. Plus it would never pass anti-trust review in the US or especially in the EU.

Velonews = Fail.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
This would be akin to GM buying out Chrysler. I don't believe it. And if it is true, we will all get crappier products from the lack of competition.
Money talks and BS walks.
If Exxon and Mobil are allowed to merge and XM and Sirius can merge then Shimano won't have any problem acquiring Sram. It will juat take more money and time to butter up the decision makers.
At the end of the day we, the consumers, will lose.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
i dont and wont believe that for a sec.
Shimano doesnt need to buy out SRAM. In fact i dont think Shimano has ever bought out another component manufacturer. Its the other way around as SRAM are the ones who needs to buy other makers to fill the technology they lack and to try make them popular.

·
Registered
84 Posts
breakaway said:
i dont and wont believe that for a sec.
Shimano doesnt need to buy out SRAM. In fact i dont think Shimano has ever bought out another component manufacturer. Its the other way around as SRAM are the ones who needs to buy other makers to fill the technology they lack and to try make them popular.
Do a little research before you make this type of "across the board" comment regarding technology and popularity.

·
Registered
329 Posts
raymonda said:
Well, it looks like the inside scoop might be a Shimano buy out of SRAM. See the latest issue of Velo news.
Ehh, so long as no one screws up Campy, I am fine with it. Campy was great before Shimano and SRAM, so I doubt that any such merge will cause this consumer to suffer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
AH1 said:
Do a little research before you make this type of "across the board" comment regarding technology and popularity.
All the research has been done.
Sram bought out Truvativ to make their cranks, they bought out Avid to make their brakes, they bought out RockShox, they bought out ZF Sachs, and now they bought out Zipp with a possible SRAM labelled wheel out this fall and maybe even a handlebar set and a better carbon crank.

What other research do you need? Sram are the wh ore's of component acquisition. All they need to do now is buy out a pedal manufacturer and maybe even a frame manufacturer.
like i said... if you dont have the technology do the next best thing... buy out a company that does.
Like it or not those are just the hard facts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
atpjunkie said:
is play money for Shimano
they make their real money selling fishing reels
how ignorant can that comment be.
thats like saying Honda makes more money selling outboards and lawnmowers

In 2005, Shimano had net sales of US $1.4 billion.Bicycle components provided 75% of its sales income. Fishing tackle produced 23%

Do some research to find where those stats came from:)

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
breakaway said:
All the research has been done.
Sram bought out Truvativ to make their cranks, they bought out Avid to make their brakes, they bought out RockShox, they bought out ZF Sachs, and now they bought out Zipp with a possible SRAM labelled wheel out this fall and maybe even a handlebar set and a better carbon crank.

What other research do you need? Sram are the wh ore's of component acquisition. All they need to do now is buy out a pedal manufacturer and maybe even a frame manufacturer.
like i said... if you dont have the technology do the next best thing... buy out a company that does.
Like it or not those are just the hard facts.

Well.... Bell Sports bought out Blackburn, Easton, Giro, BMC. Big fish eat little fish every day.

Or should I say big frogs eat little fish.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I don't know what makes more money for Shimano, bike components or fishing equipment, but I do believe that in his heart Mr. Shimano is clearly an angler. Have you caressed one of the company's reels, lately? Simply stunning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
jderreks said:
Your stats are for US sales, they do way more in fishing equipment worldwide than bicycle components.
Are you kidding me??? Did u even read the word "Billion" in those stats???
How many people in the USA?? Could Shimano actually sell 1.5billions worth of components in the USA alone?? How many people in the USA again???
1.5Billions worth would mean every american would own a shimano part

But realistically, US profits are more like in the 150million range.

Fishing gear and golf clubs and Ski/snowboard bindings are just hobbys for Shimano compared to its bike division.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/reviews/xtr_first_2

Apparently old man Shimano (before he died) liked to play golf so he decided to make them himself. And these Ultegra clubs are only available in Japan.

And thats stats for 2005. For 2008 they are projecting 2.1 Billion worldwide
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/1352.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mapei said:
I don't know what makes more money for Shimano, bike components or fishing equipment, but I do believe that in his heart Mr. Shimano is clearly an angler. Have you caressed one of the company's reels, lately? Simply stunning.
Shozaburo Shimano was a blacksmith by trade and from his teens. And being a blacksmith he always liked to make things for himself. Its noted that the local fishing competitions that he was a part of when he was younger inspired him to make reels. It was all about speed, smoothness and efficiency in the sport.event.
He also enjoyed the game of golf as he watched american versions of the game. With the japanese fascination with golf and its multi tiered driving ranges popping up everywhere in japan mr shimano wanted to capitalize on it by making golf clubs.
Thou i dont know what made him venture into ski and snowboard bindings and accessories

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
breakaway said:
ohh gawd...
PRO bike accessories have always been Shimano. Its a division of Shimano devised by Shimano and Shimano has owned from the get go 10yrs ago.
Hun, no. PRO is a Belgium brand in which Shimano USA started to distribute exclusively in the US. I think thay had a very, very small minority stake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Hun, no. PRO is a Belgium brand in which Shimano USA started to distribute exclusively in the US. I think thay had a very, very small minority stake.
excerpt::::

date: 11-10-2006
At Interbike Shimano launched its in Europe highly successful AfterMarket brand PRO to the US Market. It is the first non Shimano branded product line sold and marketed by Shimano American Corporation. Other news from PRO is that it has signed a 3 year contract as handle bar and stem supplier with the leading French pro tour team Francaise des Jeux.

keys words: aftermarket brand PRO

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/2137/pro-launched-at-interbike-and-supplies-leading-pro-tour-team.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.