Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done this before? I am looking at a bike on ebay that the seller doesn't want to have to ship--he only wants to sell it locally. But, he's agreed to take it to a shop and have them package and ship it, at my cost of course. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this? I know UPS is rediculously expensive, but what should I expect a shop to charge for packaging? Thanks folks...

· Registered
169 Posts
I sold a bike and had my LBS pack and ship it.I, like your seller, wanted no part of packing a bike. We used Fed-X and total cost was between $75-$85. This includes my LBS charging $25 to pack it . Worked out great as the buyer was able to call my LBS before shipping and confirm the bike's condition.This type of set-up makes everyone involved a bit more comfortable with the transaction. One caveat was that the bike only traveled from Tucson to So. Cal.,so there wasn't any great distance involved for comparing shipping costs.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
Don't do it. there is nothing complicted about packing a bike. Seller should do it. i went this route once, never again. seller didn't want to even locate a shop to ship and then we had a disscussion on which shop he would take it to. he didn't want travel more than 5 miles from his house. Once at the shop they never sent an e-mail when they would ship, no tracking number. Bike arrived in 5 days later in good condition but the box wasn't padded, barley taped shut. I paid in the $85 range, not sure for what. Currently some shops will insists you pay for insurance on the shipment. All this does is add unecessary cost to the transaction. If the seller is unwilling to ship a complete bike for $50-65 coast to coast walk away find something else to bid on.

· Registered
2,076 Posts
I ship through my LBS with some frequency. I think they charge me $25.00. I don't have the time or the know-how to package it properly. Most everyone I've dealt with has been pleased by the packing.

· Registered
169 Posts
I'll agree with you to a point......that being the shipper/seller should stand the cost of LBS packing if he doesn't care to do it himself. A lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable packing a bike. For starters,who keeps the box the bike comes in ? So now you're heading down to the LBS begging for a box or worse yet,dumpster diving behind the shop looking for a box. Absolutely nothing wrong with packing / shipping thru a competent LBS in my opinion.Shipping/insurance costs are always a negotiable item between buyer/seller. I see nothing wrong with splitting costs here. The problem I see with this sale is that the seller is not motivated enough to work with the buyer. He wants to sell locally and if he has to ship the bike, he doesn't even have the desire to seek out the best shop for the job ....yet he wants the buyer to absorb all costs regardless. Here's where we're in agreement again. I too would move on unless the seller changed his attitude.

· I do all my own stunts
76 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
Anyone done this before? I am looking at a bike on ebay that the seller doesn't want to have to ship--he only wants to sell it locally. But, he's agreed to take it to a shop and have them package and ship it, at my cost of course. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this? I know UPS is rediculously expensive, but what should I expect a shop to charge for packaging? Thanks folks...

My shop charged me $25 yesterday - I use FedEx Ground by the way, they are cheaper than UPS usually & have been great when insurance claims are filed

· Registered
5,525 Posts
Similar problem... in El Segundo California... but need transport to bike shop

A seller has a bike but requires either local pick-up or arrangements for packing & shipping. I'd be fine if I could get it to a bike shop, but how do I do that!? Any thoughts? Auction ends in 9 hours... Help, please

OK - I'm trying "errand girls" off of craigslist to pick-up the bike & take it to a bike shop... anyone have any other ideas?

ahhh.. OK, maybe a taxi could do it too... hmmm, this might work...

Thanks

· Registered
2,673 Posts
do a search that says "bike shop, sellers city" then after you get a list of bike shops in the sellers city do a indivual search for each shops name and see if they have a web site or phone number. call or send shop e-mail to see if they will ship. negotiate with shop on shipping rate and payment. fedex will pick up if you have an account, but it won't be cheap. see how this can be a pain in the as_. seller should do it, if not move on. packing and shipping is not that difficult SELLER SHOULD DO IT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.