Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the experience of shipping a bike to Asia, say, South Korea? Based on my research, the box will be too big for USPS; Fedex and UPS both want over $500+.

When I ordered a frame from Europe, it only cost me around $80. So are there good alternatives of shipping to Asia that I have missed? Thanks.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
elviento said:
Has anyone had the experience of shipping a bike to Asia, say, South Korea? Based on my research, the box will be too big for USPS; Fedex and UPS both want over $500+.

When I ordered a frame from Europe, it only cost me around $80. So are there good alternatives of shipping to Asia that I have missed? Thanks.
For $500 you could have S&S couplings installed and carry it on the plane. That's what I'm doing for my upcoming move to China.

I think if you pack it well enough, it should fit in a frame box which should not cost $500. Another option - ship the frame and the wheels separately. Again, not $500. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have shipped via USPS and checked on as luggage

You can do either when coming to korea and the cost should be minimal. I am a service member stationed here. I originally came here with my tri bike packed in my bike box. The airline charged me $80 and the bike flew with me. I went home on vacation and returned with my road bike, this time packed by my LBS in a standard cardboard box. The airline did not charge me a dime, I checked it as my second piece of luggage. The last option is to have it shipped via USPS. The only way to do this is if you have access to an APO box. You will be charged approx $80 to do this. Delivery times vary greatly. My wife shipped my mountain bike via USPS, paid $80 and it was here in under seven days. I had a buddy of mine ship a bike that he purchased in washington state, same price, took almost two months. One went via air, the other went via ship. I have no idea why mine was put on a plane. If you work for the US government or know someone who works for the US government here in korea, shipping a bike will not be a problem. Have the LBS pack (or you) and ship away. My opinion: Check the bike in as luggage using a standard carboard box. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
727 Posts
elviento said:

I recently had a bike shipped to Japan so I've sorta been there, done that, except for one point.

You can ship a complete bike by USPS but as the other person mentioned, only to FPO AP (military base). You'd have to disassemble it to fit in two boxes as there is a size limit. You'd have to disassemble it quite extensively. Cost might come out to around $100, but don't be surprised if the bike gets damaged. File a claim? Yeah right. I filed a claim with USPS about 3 months ago, where they confiscate the damaged item in question, and I still have not gotten a verdict. If they deny it, you don't even retain the damaged product!

If you just walk into UPS or FEDEX and ask for a quote, they will say $500-600, even though a quote off their web site is less than that. I was interested in buying a bike from a North Carolina guy in the classifieds, and he simply gave up looking for the cheapest way.

I had my bike shipped from HI to Japan by a Japanese freight company for around $168, and duty tax was around $15 (the bike is used, not new). I think the company was Sawara Express or something similar. I kinda doubt they ship from continental US to Korea, though. Maybe you can find a Korean air freight company that can do it as cheaply.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One box will work

You don't need to use two boxes to ship via USPS, at least not to Korea. I have had two bikes shipped here this time around, both in a standard carboard bike box packed by my LBS. Usual requirements for breaking down a bike to ship. It is true that you need to know someone in the military or someone who works for the US Government here in Korea in order to have it shipped via USPS. I agree with the poster about the a South Korean shipping company. Find one and they will probably offer you a good deal. There are many shipping companies and they are very competitive but they tend to charge import tax on just about anything here.. Where in Korea do you want ship to?

·
Registered
105 Posts
elviento said:

Hey Elviento. I'm an ebay powerseller and I've sold framesets to bidders in Ireland, Hong Kong, etc. What I've found is you can send it via USPS Global Express Mail. Now even though the website says there are box size limitations, when you go to ship the box through the post office, there are no size restrictions listed when you request Global Express. I've had conversations with my postmaster and clarified it. He says people have shipped HUGE boxes. Basically they just go by what the computer says. When they punch in destination and choose Global Express, there are no size restrictions listed. I've found that a lot of postal employees don't necessarily know all the details of international shipping either.

If I remember correctly, rough costs were about $70-80 for a 15 lbs box.

I didn't believe you could do this intitially but I've had several bidders email pics of the express boxes they received from other sellers. The fact that I did it several times with no problems as well confirmed it for me.

2wheelsport

1 - 6 of 6 Posts