Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have just picked up a 48 cm bike for my sister on ebay. I was wondering what the price to package and ship via UPS or any other carier would be. The seller is stating about $150 now that the bidding is over. I have a hard time believing this as I have seen some bikes ship for under $50.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
if the seller packs the bike you could ship a complete bike for $55 max, if a shop packs don't pay more than $85 max. do a general google search for bike shops in the sellers city then contact as many as possible and get a general price for packing and shipping. go to fedex site see how much a bike box 52"x30"x8" 21lbs would cost from sellers zip code to yours. Do the same at UPS and USPS. Fedex will be the cheapest. you don't need insurance if the bike is packed properly, if its not and damaged you wouldn't recover insured cost anyway. Seller is trying make up lost profit. if you can't get for $85 walkaway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just ran into a new problem

One Fed Ex outlet measured my 52X30X8 bicycle box as 53X31X8 and that put the box in a different oversize category - quote to ship was $90. Had to go to a different Fed Ex Office to get a better measurement and $29. rate. YMMV.

Jim

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
the seller could also just be trying to make some extra profit

Dave_Stohler said:
There are a lot of people on ebay who don't have a clue how to ship a bike. My guess is that's the quote he got for shipping it with the wheels and pedals attached.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds way high to me!

I just sold a bike on eBay, packed it myself, and shipped it via FedEx for about $55. This was FedEx's 3-day express (or whatever), which was the ONLY way FedEx would insure the bike for its $1700 value (huh?). This was from Colorado to Kansas, which may have kept the cost down (?).

Anyway, bikes boxes can usually be had for free from a LBS, but there is a bit of time and effort involved in packing a bike to minimize damage. I usually use about a ton of bubble wrap, plus anything else lying around that will help cushion the bike.

As an option, most shops will disassemble, pack AND ship a bike for $100 or less.

I had a bike shipped to me that had been packed by a UPS Store. Arrived in TWO boxes (frame in one, wheels in the other). Totally overdone, but in perfect condition. I think it cost the seller over $100 for that one (he paid for shipping).

IMHO, Don't use UPS. They have a really bad reputation for trashing bikes, no matter how well they are packed.

Good luck.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
bikeuphill9 said:
Hi all,
I have just picked up a 48 cm bike for my sister on ebay. I was wondering what the price to package and ship via UPS or any other carier would be. The seller is stating about $150 now that the bidding is over. I have a hard time believing this as I have seen some bikes ship for under $50.
Thanks.
If you did not get a shipping/handling quote before bidding, he can charge what he wants. It may be $100 handling. Sometimes they think they have to ship via freight which could be $155 plus. If there is some wording in the description that you can work with, maybe you can come to an agreement. - TF

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I just sold a MTB and shipped it from Phoenix to Chicago. I gave the guy a choice of UPS at: $54. Or FedEx: $43. Figures included $5 insurance on $1000. Box weighed in at 34lbs by 53"/30"/8".

Has anyone checked out DHL?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
$ize Matters.

One Fed Ex outlet measured my 52X30X8 bicycle box as 53X31X8 and that put the box in a different oversize category
Good post. Slightly larger cardboard box or sloppy measuring can cost you big $$$$. Not all bike boxes are the same size. Use the smallest one you can get away with.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
a 48cm complete bike should fit in a 52"x30"x8" easily, with plenty of room to spare. the 52" and 8" dimensions are fixed but the 30" dim could be cut down to just enough clearance for the wheels if the box is too big. Make sure the rear derailluer hanger is protected from damage. this thing is easly bent in an empty box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.