Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post and I'm not quite sure where it belongs.

My query is, has any one in Australia bought bikes from Competive Cyclist in USA and what sort of extra government charges do you have to pay here when they land?

I'm interested in getting a Pinarello Opera framest (if there are any left) but would like to know how much extra I'd be up for for customs, taxes etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

Marz.

· Registered
44 Posts
Marz said:
My query is, has any one in Australia bought bikes from Competive Cyclist in USA and what sort of extra government charges do you have to pay here when they land?
Haven't bought from them specifically but have bought other bike items into Australia from overseas.

General rule is try to stay under AUD1000 landed cost if possible. Over that amount, treasury gets customs duty and GST. Given that the Pinarello Opera is around AUD2200 from Competitive Cyclist, duty and GST will most likely be levied. See the customs website for detail on calculation: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

One observation, make sure your warranties will be picked up in Australia. Some importers can be pretty unhelpful when it comes to parallel imports. This means having to go all the way back to competitive cyclist if there is a problem...:(

Good luck!

· Registered
219 Posts
I've brought in many thousands of dollars of bike equipment from overseas and have yet to pay GST or customs on any of it. This includes my Look 585 frame and a pair of Ksyrium ES wheels. I may just have been lucky. You should budget about 15% for customs/GST, but you might have the same good fortune I have had.

· Registered
44 Posts
Hmmm... has anyone been made to pay import fees?

rossb said:
I've brought in many thousands of dollars of bike equipment from overseas and have yet to pay GST or customs on any of it. This includes my Look 585 frame and a pair of Ksyrium ES wheels. I may just have been lucky. You should budget about 15% for customs/GST, but you might have the same good fortune I have had.
I agree with that. Friend's Ksyrium ES' came in over the AUD1000 limit and he had to go to the airport to talk to the customs guys. They let him off too though- you guys should buy lottery tickets!!! :) Rather than chance it, I ordered Ksyrium SL's that came in under the limit and they got delivered to my door- no fuss but I'm thinking now I should have gone the ES' :mad2:

Has anyone out there actually been made to pay customs/GST for bike stuff being posted into Australia?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.