Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article notes how FedEx is trying to avoid paying health care costs of it's drivers by attempting to classify them as contractors rather than employees. UPS considers their drivers employees. I also read how UPS promotes from within from driver to managers.

"In one lawsuit, a California judge ruled that FedEx Ground was engaged in an elaborate ruse in which FedEx 'has close to absolute control' over the drivers. Last December, FedEx acknowledged another setback: the I.R.S. assessed it $319 million in taxes and penalties for 2002 for misclassifying employees as independent contractors. FedEx could face similar I.R.S. penalties for subsequent years. FedEx said it would appeal."

Working Life (High and Low)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/business/20work.html?

I think it is something worth considering when having bike stuff shipped.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It shouldn't make a difference. It's just that UPS is unionized and at least the FedEx ground people they are trying to treat as contract workers. I still don't see how that would make a difference as far as your package goes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I always think about this when I ship stuff, and 100% of the time I pick FedEx. I could care less what FedEx does- UPS is the absolute worst shipper, and I will never use them by choice. FedEx is cheaper most of the time, also!

UPS is one step away from a Government agency and is just as inefficient. Okay... they're more like GM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
UPS Never

Given a choice, I always choose FedEx .. with no choice I will not buy if shipping is UPS unless the item is unavailable elsewhere .. 10 years ago I bought a custom Stainless Steel part (sailboat vang) and the fabricator shipped UPS .. this thing was in part a 2.5" SS Tube with 1/4" walls ... they BENT it and when asked to make it right by replacing said "NOT OUR PROBLEM" .. fortunately the fabricator made it right ... do you really want your bike, frame or parts shipped by these guys .. yeah they are unionized and they act like it!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Art853 said:
This article notes how FedEx is trying to avoid paying health care costs of it's drivers by attempting to classify them as contractors rather than employees. UPS considers their drivers employees. I also read how UPS promotes from within from driver to managers.

"In one lawsuit, a California judge ruled that FedEx Ground was engaged in an elaborate ruse in which FedEx 'has close to absolute control' over the drivers. Last December, FedEx acknowledged another setback: the I.R.S. assessed it $319 million in taxes and penalties for 2002 for misclassifying employees as independent contractors. FedEx could face similar I.R.S. penalties for subsequent years. FedEx said it would appeal."

Working Life (High and Low)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/business/20work.html?

I think it is something worth considering when having bike stuff shipped.
I have a bro-in-law who's been a Fed Ex Ground contractor for many years. They are compensated by the box.

He is extremely well off now (likely a millionaire), owns multiple routes, 8 trucks (outright), has 8 regular employees (two of which are his boys). His "employees" are often tops in safety and customer satisfaction. We should all work in such Draconian environment. I'm considering going into business with him. He's may be the exception, but it's a excellent example of what a great work ethic, a little bit of luck, and a good system can do. He doesn't sweat paying for health insurance.

He also used to be a card-carrying union member for many years (until a strike led to the shut-down of the factory he worked in), and is now vehemently anti-union. Can't say I blame him.

Most any UPS driver would be happy to be in his scenario. They work in a world where every metric is measured, evaluated, and built into the next Teamsters contract. They're well paid, but they definitely work their asses off for it.

I wouldn't let some nutcrack liberal judge in CA cloud your judgment too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.