Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ship wheels? If you did, whom did you use and how much was it? Was any damage done when they arrived?

I have a set of wheels that I'm selling on ebay and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks

·
Banned
748 Posts
Fedx and it was about $60 or $70.. Packaging is the key to prevent damage.. go to your local bike store and ask/buy an old wheel box and the plastic axle covers.. Box each wheel independently and ship as two pieces or tape the boxes together and send as one piece..

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Fedx and it was about $60 or $70.. Packaging is the key to prevent damage.. go to your local bike store and ask/buy an old wheel box and the plastic axle covers.. Box each wheel independently and ship as two pieces or tape the boxes together and send as one piece..
This.

Either way, shipping domestically is pretty expensive. And internationally, well-it is so expensive from the USA->elsewhere you don't even want to bother.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Consider getting a used wheel box from your LBS. They get wheels shipped to them fairly frequently and with very low incidence of problems.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Typically wheelsets are shipped in one box as you will see when you get a box from the LBS. They are sized to allow the wheels to be slightly offset so that the hubs are offset. The price will be based on the size of the box, not the weight. I have typically used UPS with no issues. You can go on their website and calculate the cost once you get a box.

You may try Criag's List as well to avoid shipping all together.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will contact my LBS and ask about the wheel boxes and hub cabs/ axle covers.

I have them posted on Craigslist but so far haven't had any luck.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Proper Box

As others have said, get a proper box. I buy them new from a local corrugated supplier, about $2/box for a 30x30x6. Bubble wrap with large bubbles for cushioning and small pieces of corrugated on the hub ends/freehub, taped with blue masking tape. I use the blue as it does not leave residue. Take off the qr's, wrap them and tape the separately or to the wheel. I've shipped a number of wheels sets using a single box and not had any issues from customers.

I use FedEx ground which will get to the west coast from the east coast in about 5 biz days. My costs have run, depending on distance from CT, anywhere from $15 to $50 for a pair of wheels including insurance and signature.

Has anyone ship wheels? If you did, whom did you use and how much was it? Was any damage done when they arrived?

I have a set of wheels that I'm selling on ebay and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are posted on ebay. I will try Panjo as well.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.