Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving from the UK back to Canada in a couple weeks and I have an extra wheelset that won't fit in my bicycle box. The wheels aren't worth much, they are basic Ambrosio Balance 32-hole rims laced to Campag Veloce hubs, but they are in great shape and are still useful.

I am thinking about having these shipped via mail, but I'm unsure if it's worth the expense.

Has anyone shipped wheels overseas, even better if from the UK to North America? I imagine I'd be better off giving them to the local shop and cutting my losses, but if I can ship them for less than a new set would cost, I'd give it serious consideration.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So what's the shipping charge?

Suppose it's $50.00. Ask yourself: If I were offered the opportunity to buy this wheelset for $50.00 would I do it? There's your answer.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke Wrench said:
Suppose it's $50.00. Ask yourself: If I were offered the opportunity to buy this wheelset for $50.00 would I do it? There's your answer.
That's the thing. All the charge estimators I've seen online (Post Office, Parcel Force, etc), suggest that I'll have to pay a lot more than $50 to ship these things. I was curious if anyone has actually shipped an item of this size (other than a bike) for this distance. Mail order companies do it all the time for a reasonable fee, but they get bulk business rates for their orders.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Get a bike box from the trash bin at the LBS. Cut it down to 31"x28"x8" put the wheels in, staggar the hubs, with cardboard spacers in between the spokes to keep the box from collasping. if you check fedex or USPS this box will fall into the large oversize 1 category. You should be able to pack it yourself, no big thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts