Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

How does the sizing work, do you want a tight fit or a loose fit and if l am a true medium (tee shirts and sweaters) should l stay with Medium?

And if my waist is 34 should l also go for a cycle short in 34?

Thanks

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
There are many different cuts in shorts/bis and jerseys. Each manufacturer is different. If you wear a size 34 pant/short then yes you could go with a size range of 34 -36 to be little more comfortable. the jerseys are a little different. You have race cut, club cut, tent maker cut (just kidding). Each manufacturer may have a certain length and of course fabric. Don't worry as soon as you find one you love they will discontinue it and you will have to start from scratch. Again the LBS is the best resource here. Go try on a few pair from different manufacturers and see how it goes.

· Registered
19 Posts
I agree...you should definitely check out a local shop and see what fits you. I wear a medium in almost every shirt I own, but my jerseys are all larges. Take that for what it is worth...but try on some different brands to find one that fits you well.

· Registered
125 Posts
Also, if you're buying online, be careful about sizing charts. The charts on the online retailers sites are sometimes wrong. Go to the manufacturers' websites and use their charts. Just learned this the hard way with Demarchi bibs.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I use the on-line sizing charts.

Shorts should fit snugly. If they are too loose, then they'll move around. That'll result in skin irritation on longer rides. If it's bad enough it'll wear a hole right through your skin. Jerseys are not as critical, but a snug fit means less flapping and wind resistance.

I'm medium for a lot of things, but I had to learn the hard way that for almost all bike shorts I need to wear "small".

· Registered
15 Posts
iv had a terrible experience with jerseys online. every brand fits different. iv had a size medium that honestly fit like an XL...and a size L that fit like a Small. jerseys are defitly one thing you should get from the bike shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.