Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding down a path under some power lines the other day. Got about 50 feet in on the path and started getting shocked by the metal components on my bike. Other riders had the same issue. Anyone run into this before? I figured I was ok since my bike was grounded by the tires I though at least. But man, it was not fun.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gobike1 said:
Went riding down a path under some power lines the other day. Got about 50 feet in on the path and started getting shocked by the metal components on my bike. Other riders had the same issue. Anyone run into this before? I figured I was ok since my bike was grounded by the tires I though at least. But man, it was not fun.
maybe it was your electrifying personality?

//buh, dum, crash...be here all week fokes!:D tip yr servers

·
Registered
263 Posts
I rode north out of Williams, AZ on the way to the Grand Canyon. Passed under some big wires and felt a current going through me. I thought is was the carbon frame or something. Not really a shock, but like putting your tongue on a nine volt.

It was a weird feeling.

Jake

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
really?.....all the lightning rods I have ever handled have been solid copper...
I tried to verify it but I'm too lazy to work too hard at it.
I've read something about it in the past and someone
had mentioned it too.
I've heard it's more of a risk on the golf course than metal
clubs and that carbon bikes explode leaving no survivors
within a 50 foot radius. But I just heard that on teh internets
that Al Gore made.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
OldRoadGuy said:
I tried to verify it but I'm too lazy to work too hard at it.
I've read something about it in the past and someone
had mentioned it too.
I've heard it's more of a risk on the golf course than metal
clubs and that carbon bikes explode leaving no survivors
within a 50 foot radius. But I just heard that on teh internets
that Al Gore made.
Maybe so now with the price of copper. I have pulled several sets off of building in the past and they were all copper....some really beautiful, ornate stuff too. The "wire" leading to ground on one was like 3/4 inch square twisted copper rod.

btw....copper would make a pretty crappy golf club......as would silver and gold....which would both may EXCELLENT lightning rods.....

http://www.lightningrodparts.com/parts4.html

some very cool stuff....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
um well I guess the carbon thing would make sense as both riders with Carbon bikes were getting the most zaps. But the aluminum riders caught a bit too. I would certainly hate for my bike to explode leaving no survivors within a 50 foot radius. :eek: Note to self: Stay away from power lines and lightning.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Tires are not a gound, they are an insulateor.If you wish to get a good ground on your bike, get a meatal rod, (coper is best) and drive it into the gound. (try to hit the water table)
Now take get a wire, (braided coper is best) Conect it to to the rod and then to bare metal on the bike.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
They are calling for t-storms this afternoon, during my commute home. I ride on an MUT that has some serious high voltage lines directly overhead. I may need to keep an eye on the weather and leave a bit early, so as not to die.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
They are calling for t-storms this afternoon, during my commute home. I ride on an MUT that has some serious high voltage lines directly overhead. I may need to keep an eye on the weather and leave a bit early, so as not to die.
Yeah and take out dozens of other people as the bolt heads for your carbon fork...LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Visitor302 said:
Tires are not a gound, they are an insulateor.If you wish to get a good ground on your bike, get a meatal rod, (coper is best) and drive it into the gound. (try to hit the water table)
Now take get a wire, (braided coper is best) Conect it to to the rod and then to bare metal on the bike.
I've written a few responses to this quote and they keep getting too long so here's the quick and dirty:

The shock is due to a potential difference between your body and your bike, something that always exists, but is being exacerbated by the electromagnetic field of the high voltage lines (especially on a humid/wet day).

Don't ground yourself to the earth, ground yourself to the bike. This will eliminate potential difference between your body and your bike, so the shocks will stop. You can do this with a grounding wrist-strap... just hook it to something metal on the bike.

Any accumulated charge on your body/bike (now seen as one from an electrical perspective thanks to the connection between you and the bike) will naturally dissipate as you ride, no need to ground yourself to the earth.

[edit] Make sure whatever you use to attach yourself to the bike will release from you or the bike in case of a crash! [/edit]

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I usually reattach the chain that secures my confederate flag wallet to my
denims to my seatpost to equalize our electrostatic properties.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.