Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just started setting up a new pair of nike shoes with shimano cleats-inside corner of the cleat doesn't make contact with sole (hangs over edge). It looks like there's no way the cleat could make full contact with sole-is this normal? Seems like a design flaw in terms of power transfer...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Mine hang over the inside edge of the sole. I have big feet, (48's), & I have to place them there so my ankle bone doesn't hit the crank arm.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
stevesbike said:
just started setting up a new pair of nike shoes with shimano cleats-inside corner of the cleat doesn't make contact with sole (hangs over edge). It looks like there's no way the cleat could make full contact with sole-is this normal? Seems like a design flaw in terms of power transfer...
Many look-styled cleats overhang that corner with most shoes. Not a big deal.

Not a design flaw, either. That portion of the cleat has no meaningful role in power transfer. The function of that part of the cleat is as a cam to disengage the retention mechanism, and as a walking pontoon. More or less inside the screws is the effective contact area, and the rest could disappear without transfer implications. Of course, they wouldn't work right, but that's another issue.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
stevesbike said:
My Time RXS cleats hang WAY off the side of my Poggio IIIs, and they keep breaking. Seriously - the inside corner breaks off if I step down too hard! I've gone through two pairs of cleats - at $30 per - and decided enough was enough. The Time RXS pedals are going on eBay, and my 7800 pedals should be arriving this week sometime. I'm sort of bummed to hear that yours hang off the side too, but the Shimano cleats look much more substantial than the Time cleats. Hopefully it works out for the both of us...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.