Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new pair of shoes.

My old shoes were just too damn small. I now feel that these might be a little too large (length wise).

My longest toe (my second) barely touches the end of shoe when walking but never when riding.

I feel that this would be a good fit only if one of my feet is a full size plus smaller.

What do you guys think. Split the difference in size or did I choose correctly.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Shoes and saddles are very personal items. One that works for you, I might find impossible to live with. That being said, I believe that your toe(s) should never contact the front of the shoe. If they do, the shoe is too small. There need not be a lot of room between the toe and the shoe, but .25" would be minimal IMO.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Shoes and saddles are very personal items. One that works for you, I might find impossible to live with. That being said, I believe that your toe(s) should never contact the front of the shoe. If they do, the shoe is too small. There need not be a lot of room between the toe and the shoe, but .25" would be minimal IMO.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bike shoes should fit snugly, and allow no heel movement when pedalling. I tend to buy mine 1/2 size too small and let them stretch. The modern synthetic leather shoes take a long time to stretch, but then they last forever too.

·
Banned
349 Posts
They need to fit snug in the heel pocket, also be wide enough that they don't squeeze and bunch the taursal bones and the arch across the foot from big toe to little toe. I have problems with width, but that's me.

You should be able to compensate a bit for differences in foot size with the strap/closure adjustments. If the feet aren't slopping in the shoes they're probably fine.

There's a "sweet spot" between too much slop and not enough room. Also, shoe lasts vary from mfg to mfg. That's why it's nice to have a selection of shoes/brands and take time to try on shoes until you find one that fits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts