Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Å new pair of SIDI 5.5's from PBK arrived at my door today. These shoes are meant to replace my SIDI genius' I've had for the past 7 years. Both size 45, but the new SIDI's appear to be a hair longer. I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wiggle room between the tip of the shoe and my big toe. Older shoe are closer to 1/2 inch.

Question: how snug should cycling shoes be? The width feels okay once I dial them in. I would think a little wiggle room is better than tight shoes... right?

Thanks

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I ride SIDI Genius and the thought of getting new shoes scares me to death.
I know where you are coming from. You wish the new shoes were exactly the same fit.
I think a little extra toe room won't be a problem, as long as the heel is stable and doesn't pop up, and your foot doesn't move around too much. A little extra toe room is better than too tight. Maybe you could try a little thicker sock until you get used to them.
Good luck with this!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Cycling shoes should fit like regular shoes - not too snug, not too loose. If you've got .75" of front to back slop that's way too much. Send'em back & get a pair that fits properly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both jmlapoint and mr. versatile! yeah... I'm on the fence about this one. It turns out almost all of my walking shoes have 1/2 to 3/4 inch of extra space at the tip, so my cycling shoes do as well. But, these new SIDI's feel a tad too long. I'm going to order a size 44 and see what happens. I'll try both and return the ones I don't want. For $140 bucks they better fit right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And just like regular shoes, remember that a snug fit when they are new will eventually stretch out. But don't let them be too tight.

jmlapoint is right, does your provider carry half sizes?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know... I did try adding the insole from my old SIDI's on top of the new insole and it felt really good. I'm thinking that this might be an option, has anyone tried this?

My problem is that I have funky shaped feet, I guess that's why I always go with the bigger size.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
Hence why I'm so scared to buy shoes online! Good luck!!
Buying online isn't that bad, you can find killer deal. I recommend you try on the shoes at an LBS prior to ordering. I went by the shoe size I currently own.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I have never found cycling shoes to stretch and it's impossible to guess how much they WOULD stretch if they did, so I don't think it's worth trying to guess whether they'll stretch to fit.

I recommend you put the shoes on without the cleats and wear them in the house only for a couple days, like slippers. That's what I do. After a day or two I know for sure whether they're keepers and if they're not then they'll still be in new condition for return.

Wiggle room is good. Most people buy shoes too small and wind up with hammer toes.
You just don't want excess room in the shoe such that your foot moves around in the heel cup and the strap system can take out any sloppy fit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peter P. said:
I have never found cycling shoes to stretch and it's impossible to guess how much they WOULD stretch if they did, so I don't think it's worth trying to guess whether they'll stretch to fit.

I recommend you put the shoes on without the cleats and wear them in the house only for a couple days, like slippers. That's what I do. After a day or two I know for sure whether they're keepers and if they're not then they'll still be in new condition for return.

Wiggle room is good. Most people buy shoes too small and wind up with hammer toes.
You just don't want excess room in the shoe such that your foot moves around in the heel cup and the strap system can take out any sloppy fit.
point well taken... I've been wearing them all afternoon. Not sure if my foot was swollen or what, but they appear to fit better. The strap system does take the sloppiness out of the shoe leaving only wiggle room at the tip of the shoe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found the same length discrepancy to be true with the SIDI 6.6s I recently bought to replace my old 5s. It seems the newer models have slightly pointer toes than the old (I'm running megas on both). The ball of my foot hits the same spot in both shoes so I didn't really worry about the small amount of extra length. I've got a couple centuries on the new shoes w/o noticing the length (but your milage my vary). Dropping a 1/2 size could drop a 1/2" off the front which worried me about my toes butting up against the front (too tight for me). FWIW, I run superfeet insoles with thin socks in warm weather and thick wool socks with the sidi insole in the winter both of which take up the volume nicely.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I wear Sidi 44.5s for all my shoes. I have the 5, 5.5 both with the old and new style soles, and 6.6. I use a gel insert in each to take up some of the volume since I wear a C dress shoe and these are all D widths. So long as the heel cup is snug and the straps snug up the width, I wouldn't worry about the extra 1/4" you described above. From what you described, you could probably use a 44.5, but a 44 will be too short as it was for me, so the 45 with an insert is the best deal for you. The new 5.5s are great shoes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cdhbrad said:
I wear Sidi 44.5s for all my shoes. I have the 5, 5.5 both with the old and new style soles, and 6.6. I use a gel insert in each to take up some of the volume since I wear a C dress shoe and these are all D widths. So long as the heel cup is snug and the straps snug up the width, I wouldn't worry about the extra 1/4" you described above. From what you described, you could probably use a 44.5, but a 44 will be too short as it was for me, so the 45 with an insert is the best deal for you. The new 5.5s are great shoes.
thx... trying superfeet insoles this afternoon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts