Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
I tried them but I got my money back. They take up a lot of room in your shoe and are thick at the heel. They twisted my foot in the shoe and caused knee soreness. I went back to Superfeet and have had no problems since. Your experience may be different depending on your feet and shoe model.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
steelbikerider said:
I tried them but I got my money back. They take up a lot of room in your shoe and are thick at the heel. They twisted my foot in the shoe and caused knee soreness. I went back to Superfeet and have had no problems since. Your experience may be different depending on your feet and shoe model.
I just got some and did the oven-heat installation and really don't see the point. This isn't much gel (if any) to form at the front of the liner where the cleat is. Who cares what the heal does on a bike shoe. - TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
I've got 'em and I like 'em. Helped straighten out my knee alignment. They are a tad thicker than what comes in most shoes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
steelbikerider said:
I tried them but I got my money back. They take up a lot of room in your shoe and are thick at the heel. They twisted my foot in the shoe and caused knee soreness. I went back to Superfeet and have had no problems since. Your experience may be different depending on your feet and shoe model.
Even with shoes that had too much extra room I had the exact same problem you did. The heel twist could only be solved by trimming them so much that I had to take part of the arch off. Long story short mine were a total bust.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Tried them, returned them

I had them but returned them. The heel section was so thick it lifted my heel out of the cup and my foot would pull out of the shoe. Also, they are heavy. I'm a bit of a weight weenie and have lightweight pedals and shoes. These insoles negated any benefits of going light on the pedals and shoes. The cheapo foam insoles don't weigh much and you can buy about 40 pairs of them for the price of the Sole insoles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
Not very encouraging remarks. I ordered a pair-the ultra slim ones for sport shoes. I tried the Specialized Body Guard and they didn't leave sufficient room for my foot so I sent them back. With respect to the guys above not satisfied with the Sole, did you buy the ultra slim sports model inserts?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Schneiderguy said:
Not very encouraging remarks. I ordered a pair-the ultra slim ones for sport shoes. I tried the Specialized Body Guard and they didn't leave sufficient room for my foot so I sent them back. With respect to the guys above not satisfied with the Sole, did you buy the ultra slim sports model inserts?
That's the kind I am going to try(ultra slim). It says it is designed specifically for cycling or track/running shoes. I probably should have clarified that in my initial post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
That's the kind I am going to try(ultra slim). It says it is designed specifically for cycling or track/running shoes. I probably should have clarified that in my initial post.

I bought the slim cycling specific models.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
teoteoteo said:
I bought the slim cycling specific models.
Like or dislike? I have a set of northwave aerator 3 and with the carbon sole and cork inside, it is just too much. The insert it came with is not that good, so I need something with a little support.
 

·
I am not aero
Joined
·
304 Posts
Got 'em

in my cycling, dress, and running shoes (about 3 months now). Love them in the running shoes. They're OK in the dress shoes (but don't work in shoes without a removeable insole like several of mine). Jury is still out on the cycling shoes - some things seem better, some don't (the hot spots are gone, but I am having some knee pain, pretty sure it's IT band not alignment related). They do take up some room in cycling shoes, especially snug ones like Sidis, but not so much that you can't close them or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Thumbs Up!

I've got the slim (cycling specific) ones in my Sidis. They work for me. No problems whatsoever and much better than Sidi stock insole. I like a little arch support. My feet feel more stable when weighted (standing climbs) and more balanced on the flats. I've had no hot spots since using these insoles and my feet are pain-free after a long day in the saddle.
 

·
BS the DC
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
I use Sole orthotics in my practice and have fitted orthotics for many years. Because orthotics take up more room in your shoe than the stock shoe inserts, you may run into trouble when fitting orthotics in any shoe. This is especially true when trying to fit them into a cycling shoe, which have a relatively snug fit. The Slim Sport is the slimmest model and will have the best chance of fitting. I have found the heat molding aspect of Sole orthotics also helps them fit a little better than some other brands. I love my Sole orthotics in my cycling shoe. Of course it helps that I originally fit my shoes with the orthotics in them. If your cycling shoes are already a little snug, almost any orthotic is going to be difficult to fit. Either way, Sole offers 100% money back guarantee. It's certainly worth trying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
Like or dislike? I have a set of northwave aerator 3 and with the carbon sole and cork inside, it is just too much. The insert it came with is not that good, so I need something with a little support.

Look further up this thread for my exact post--basically I was disappointed. FWIW I love the esoles orthotics. My feet literally used to feel like somebody hammered them at the end of a ride. I've spent dollar after dollar on different shoes, inserts, etc with no real luck. I have had my set 3 months now and they have made an incredible difference.

http://www.esoles.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
Anyone ever use these??
Yes. I've had problems with plantar fasciitis over the past five years and have tried about 15 different makes of over-the-counter insoles as well as two custom orthotics for cycling and running. There is absolutely no question in my mind that the Sole Custom Footbeds are THE best over-the-counter insoles out there. Before putting them in the oven, try them in your shoes. If they are fairly comfortable, don't do the oven routine. They will conform to your foot over time, without the cooking bit. The oven routine results in some undesirable softening of the material. Cook them if you must, but don't cook them if you don't need to.

You can also call them and get someone knowledgeable on the phone to talk with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
BarryG said:
...I've had problems with plantar fasciitis over the past five years and have tried about 15 different makes of over-the-counter insoles as well as two custom orthotics for cycling and running...
You should try one of these shoes...
http://www.rocket7.com/
http://d2customfootwear.com/

A little more expensive starting out compared to a normal cycling shoe but probably cheaper then a Shoe & multiple Orthotic combo.

Happy Feet = Happy Rider
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Foot Fitting insoles have fixed my foot issues. Granted they're pricey....$200. But they're also a CNC match to the bottom of yer foot. Worked for me.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top