Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried Sidi Ergo 2 and Specialized Pro Carbon shoes with both Keo (red cleat) and Speedplay Light Action pedals. Both combos hurt my knee after a 5 mile ride. My Lake MX-190 mtb shoes and Crank Bros Candy don't hurt my knees. I am using them on my road bike right now, but I'd like to find something lighter and dedicated for the road. Any ideas? Could the shoes be hurting my knee?!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lets look at what you know doesn't hurt your knees...

Lake MX-190 shoes and Crank Bros Candy pedals

The logical road setup would then be...

Lake CX-190 (same shoe with a road sole) shoes and Crank Bros Quattro pedals

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hayduke1972 said:
Lets look at what you know doesn't hurt your knees...

Lake MX-190 shoes and Crank Bros Candy pedals

The logical road setup would then be...

Lake CX-190 (same shoe with a road sole) shoes and Crank Bros Quattro pedals
Ok, I think I'll give those a try. Thanks.

Any other ideas as to what could be going on with the shoes? I hear of people having issues with the pedals, but shoes?! I'd like to get something with a good, stiff carbon sole, but could the carbon soles be too stiff for me? :confused:

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
thoughts...

You may have a foot alignment problem and not realize it. It could also be due to shoes that are too narrow and roll your foot to the inside or the outside.

I had problems with Sidi Genius 5 shoes and Speedplay X-2 pedals, but only on the left foot. My left foot rolled to the inside enough to cause the cleat's spring clips to rub a groove in the pedal spindle. A Lemond wedge, with the thick side on the outer edge of the cleat fixed the problem.

When I switched to new, wider Rocket 7 shoes, I assumed that I still needed the wedge and used one for the first several hundred miles. I started to have problems with pressure on the ball of my left foot, behind the big toe, so I took the wedge out and it seems to have cured that problem, but I am having a bit of pain on the outer/front of the left knee, probably because I'm used to the wedge.

It's not hard to experiment with the Lemond wedges or similar devices, like the Specialized insoles and forefoot pads. If you change the foot angle in the wrong direction, it usually becomes obvious pretty quickly.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use lake shoes and Keo pedals. The specialized BG inserts are worth looking at for whatever shoes youre using. My right foot usuallly hurts for the first 5 miles and then feels fine all day. I just took a pice a papertowel and neatly folded it, then stuck it under insole on the outside front ball of my right shoe. it works for me.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It may be the alignment of your Look cleats, not the shoes. I recently switched all my bikes to Keos from older Look models, so I had to switch all my cleats too (Sidis in various models). I began to experience some pain in the outer side of my right knee. Worked with my fitter to correct the alignment of the cleat on the right shoe and everything is fine now. You don't say if its only one knee or both, so hard to guess, but try adjusting the cleats before you change everything completely.
I don't have any experience with Speedplays, so no guess as to what might be causing problems with those.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It very well could be an alignment issue. I'm not sure. I did have the cleats fit by a professional, but I'm sure that he would be willing to readjust the cleats for me if I came back and explained the situation.

The pain is only in my left knee, which has given me problems for over 10 years. I had surgery earlier this year.

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is a foot alignment issue? If I get a pedal with a lot of float, shouldn't that take care of it? Are you talking about foot tilt or axis? Is this something that a fitter can see and account for?

(Thanks for the help guys! :) )

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C-40 said:
It could also be due to shoes that are too narrow and roll your foot to the inside or the outside.

I had problems with Sidi Genius 5 shoes and Speedplay X-2 pedals, but only on the left foot. My left foot rolled to the inside enough to cause the cleat's spring clips to rub a groove in the pedal spindle. A Lemond wedge, with the thick side on the outer edge of the cleat fixed the problem.

When I switched to new, wider Rocket 7 shoes, I assumed that I still needed the wedge and used one for the first several hundred miles. I started to have problems with pressure on the ball of my left foot, behind the big toe, so I took the wedge out and it seems to have cured that problem, but I am having a bit of pain on the outer/front of the left knee, probably because I'm used to the wedge.

It's not hard to experiment with the Lemond wedges or similar devices, like the Specialized insoles and forefoot pads. If you change the foot angle in the wrong direction, it usually becomes obvious pretty quickly.
The Lakes are by far the widest shoes I have tried so far, or at least compared to the Sidi and Specialized. I may actually try a pair of the D2 Custom shoes to account for any kind of weirdness that could be going on with the shoe. The Lakes are very comfortable, but they are heavy, and have a very flexy Vibram sole on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
knee pain with clipless

I also had knee pain when I switched from regular pedals with toe clips to clipless. In my case, I was able to figure out that my feet preferred to be further out from the bike when I rode with the regular pedals. I had to buy pedal extenders (just a spacer between the crank and the pedal) to move the clipless out further. the spacers are not readily available...I think I ordered mine from White (pretty expensive...over $40). the tricky thing is trying to figure out what size to order...I ordered them too big, and had to grind them down some. In my case, it solved the problem...this may or not apply to you. knees are tricky.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I finally got things to work by going with the new Dura-Ace 7810's with the
red fixed (no float) cleats. I had to adjust my cleat position several times until
it was right. My case flies in the face of prevailing logic, that is float is universally
good for knees. In my case, it was allowing heel whip and the torsional twisting
caused my tendonitis. Keep at it, because when you finally get it right, it's magic.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
In my case, it was the outer side of my right knee. My right leg is shorter than the left and I use a stack of three Lemond wedges under the cleat on that shoe. When I switched to Keos, I didn't get the cleat properly aligned, even though I thought it looked pretty close compared to my Delta cleats, and I was putting too much pressure on the outside of the knee. The fitter I work with could see /sense this be watching me on the bike and made the necessary adjustments. I just copied that on all my other shoes.

·
Inching to 1000 (again)
1,049 Posts
You may also want to check your saddle height, which may have changed with the new shoe-cleat combination. Last year I bough expensive Sidi Dominators to replace a pair of inexpensive Specialized shoes. I tried lots of adjustments, but never got rid various foot and leg pains. Returned them and went back the Specialized and have been happy ever since. Sometimes we need to leave well enough alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.