Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm new into the sport of cycling...i just got a Lemond Alpe d'Huez with the ultegra grouppo....I was looking for a good shoe and pedal combo thats not too expensive and also i want to be able to get off the bike and maybe enjoy the sites a little bit

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Roadbike shoes and pedals basically force you to duck walk around. I don't have any particular recommendations for shoes. I have a pair of Sidi's now (just replaced my 17.00 Nashbar cheapo shoes after 1 1/2 years) and use them on a pair of Time pedals. I wasn't too worried about cost and more worried about fit in the beginning and took a chance on my junker shoes and got lucky. They finally just wore out. Go to your LBS and try on a bunch of the mid price shoes and see how they fit. A good LBS that has roadbikers working in it will help you size the shoes properly (biggest thing is you don't want too much play in the toes from what I've been told). Pedals aren't cheap either. I got mine online due to the price difference (about 75.00 cheaper than my LBS).

Your other choice is to go with MTB pedals and shoes. The benefits are easier to walk around and if you have an MTB you can use the same shoes on both bikes. The downside, as I just found out after having to replace my wife's pedals and shoes, is that a MTB pedal can "hot spot" your foot on the really long rides and become unconfortable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well from the information you provided sounds like you should be looking for a mountain shoe and a good set of spd pedals. the upside is you will be able to walk around a bit and take in the sights, but like previously stated in another persons reply they do tend to get uncomfortable on the long haul. If you don't mind carrying a pack you could go with a decent road shoe with either the look system or the newer shimano road set up and have the best of both worlds.
good luck,
phx

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I started in MTB so I stayed with SPD's on my road bike for consistency. The small SPD cleat can cause a hot spot on the foot after hard workouts or long rides. A good stiff-soled shoe can minimize this issue.
OTOH- SPD (not SPD-SL- that's a different cleat) is easier to walk in than other road cleats.
FWIW- The shoe I use most on the road lately is Shimano MA-80. It's a MTB shoe but with fairly short tread. Very easy & comfortable to walk in, although the sole could be stiffer for pedaling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts