Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due for new shoes, but as I get older, my feet are changing shape. I use SPD pedals (Shimano, A620) Riding Sidi Dominators, but would like something with more room across the toe box. Any suggestions?

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,799 Posts
Sidi Mega would be my first suggestion. Also, in my experience, Specialized, Shimano and Carnac are somewhat forgiving for those with wide feet.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sidi Mega would be my first suggestion. Also, in my experience, Specialized, Shimano and Carnac are somewhat forgiving for those with wide feet.
Mine are almost square, lol, size 6 1/2, used to be D width but I need a bit more room now.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Mine are almost square, lol, size 6 1/2, used to be D width but I need a bit more room now.
I've done Carnac in the past, currently Sidi mega's. Haven't ever found anything else that fits my short, fat feet.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
I've been looking at Bont as they look to have a "square" toe box. Probably going to be my next pair of shoes. The riots will get you in the door at a reasonable price.

MTB

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have a starting point now, Sidi Mega, Carnac and Bont. I need to go shopping and try stuff on.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I think Carnac is out of business. Hard to find if not.

I've only tried on Sidi shoes but remember them to be quite narrow so if you want a little wider than those you probably just need a 'normal' shoe not a wider one.

Northwave shoes tend to be pretty roomy in that area despite being Italian. Good shoes too.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Shimano E or LAKE shoes. Both wide tobon without being a WIDE shoe. SIDI Mega is wide overall and the heel.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I've only tried on Sidi shoes but remember them to be quite narrow so if you want a little wider than those you probably just need a 'normal' shoe not a wider one.

Northwave shoes tend to be pretty roomy in that area despite being Italian. Good shoes too.
Shimano E or LAKE shoes. Both wide tobon without being a WIDE shoe. SIDI Mega is wide overall and the heel.
If you want to work with a fabulous Bont rep, email Glenn Koshi. Tell him PBL in Jersey sent you. [email protected]
Yeah, there's a reason I asked in the Lounge! THANKS!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have big, hard to fit feet. Sidi never worked for me, sort of like Cinderella's stepsister trying to force her foot into the golden slipper. :) Plus,they are damn expensive for a shoe that doesn't fit. I've found that Lake works pretty well -- that is, for me. Your experience may differ. You really need to get into town and try on various shoes at various shops to see what will work. Shoes are one of the few biking essentials that are a real pita to buy, at least for me. Another make is Northwave but, again, that is for me.

·
Registered
760 Posts

FWIW, I've ridden Sidi from the beginning...gone through about 6 or 7 pair, from low end to high end, mostly trying to to get the right fit. I also have wide feet. I finally figured out they were too narrow. Went with Mega's, which did the trick, but wanted a thinner sole to shrink pedaling radius.

Went with a pair of Northwaves, a model from 4-5 years ago, which had much more room in the toe box, despite being a smaller size than my Sidis...I even had to put "more" inserts than I normally do, to make them snugger (no socks). However the quality of the Northwaves was much lower than the Sidis I've had, and the lasts were irregular (couldn't get the cleats/feet straight because one of the toe boxes was also crooked. That said, from what I understand, Northwave's newer models are cut narrower.

I picked up a pair of Sidi Wire Vents, non-Mega, a few months ago, and didn't think I'd like the "shiny leather". They are the size I've traditionally bought in Sidi, but I no longer get hot spots, etc, even on 3 hour rides. The leather seems much more pliable than older Sidis, and roomier (and scuff resistant!). I wonder if they are making the uppers with more material, or if the Wire Vents are just cut differently. They feel tight when first putting them on, but I find myself continually tightening them as I start to ride. Either way, I'm finally comfortable with Sidis.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I find the problem (for me) with Sidi wide shoes (Mega) is that they make the entire last wider. It's great if you have a wide toe box, but not so great if you don't have a wide heel (almost no one does). I found my foot sliding around in them, which resulted in me trying to cinch them down tighter, which resulted in restricting the circulation in forefoot. Not good.

I've used some Shimano shoes in the past with good success. I also had a pair of Bontrager that fit my wide foot pretty well (I think they were called "Race" but I could be wrong.

My most recent favorite was a pair of Pearl Izumi "Race Road III" that I lucked into on a sale table at performance for $79. They were my size, so I tried them on. They were really comfortable. I ended up buying a second pair when I found them on sale again later. They are not a high end shoe, but they worked really well for my foot shape (wide forefoot, high instep), and they have a nice Boa closure on the instep which makes it really easy to dial in the fit. Pearl Izumi and Shimano are part of the same company, so it's not a surprise that their shoes have similar design characteristics.

Edit: These shoes are currently on sale at Nashbar for $79
https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/...L8Hrq&ddkey=https:PBSearchTermAssociationsCmd

This is a great deal for a pair of decent road shoes with a boa closure.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem is, buying shoes online, I can't try them on.
I might head into Madison today and see what's available, There are quite a few few good shops,

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Omg, the Madison bike shops have the worst websites on the planet.... ALL OF THEM!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've done Carnac in the past, currently Sidi mega's. Haven't ever found anything else that fits my short, fat feet.
that's me too. carnac road shoes (they are like slippers) and sidi megas for mtb and commuting. i have wide-ish feet.

TOG: when i buy shoes, my main goal is to get two, left and right.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I have not tried on many shoes, but I am wide across the toes with narrow heels, and found Specialized to fit my feet well.

It's so long ago now that I can't remember what else I tried, except that they were Euro brands..

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up ordering Lakes online, Madison has lots of bike shops but they all have the worst websites on the planet, i could not find who sold whT and from past experience, no one sells a 41, grrrrrr. If the lakes don't work, I send them back.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I ended up ordering Lakes online, Madison has lots of bike shops but they all have the worst websites on the planet, i could not find who sold whT and from past experience, no one sells a 41, grrrrrr. If the lakes don't work, I send them back.
If the Lakes don't satisfy, feel free to PM me. Glenn can get you fit perfectly with foot tracings, so long as they are done well. Bont does a wide semi-custom for a small uocharge if needed. And if it's a cf hard sided shoe, it can be tweaked by heat gun or oven...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Adam Hansen's "Hanseeno" custom carbon fiber wraps with the cleat tied and glued on.

I believe I read somewhere that these are 'one and done'. He needs a new pair for each race...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.