Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nasty spill on the bike yesterday...fortunately I took the brunt of the impact and the ride is safe. Phew. :) However my ancient, yet comfy, Specialized shoes bit the dust...somehow the sole got mangled/caught. They needed to be replaced anyways. I honestly don't even know the model anymore since everything wore out a while back. I've been looking around and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the Adidas Ultras or the DMT Flash? I did some searching but I'd love to hear real world experience if possible? Thanks!

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
No need to change brands if the Specialized were comfy.
Specialized Pro Carbon.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
If the .... fits ...

It all depends on the fit.
Ill-fitting shoes are miserable.
I think the Adidas and DMT are pretty different.
I have wide feet and high instep; it was hard to find a pair that cinched well without grinding into my instep and causing tightness/fatigue.

Carnacs fit me like a glove.

IIRC, from trying a bunch on some time ago:
Carnac and Sidi Mega are built on the widest last. Shimano are also fairly wide.

Adidas and Sidi Standard are in the middle. Then Nike Poggio, I think.

DMT and Vittoria are narrow, with Northwave the narrowest of all.

I'm not sure where Specialized or PI fit in that list.
But if the Specialized fit well before, just try the new models.

Or you could get some custom Rocket 7. :)

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cadence90 said:
It all depends on the fit.
Ill-fitting shoes are miserable.
I think the Adidas and DMT are pretty different.
I have wide feet and high instep; it was hard to find a pair that cinched well without grinding into my instep and causing tightness/fatigue.

Carnacs fit me like a glove.

IIRC, from trying a bunch on some time ago:
Carnac and Sidi Mega are built on the widest last. Shimano are also fairly wide.

Adidas and Sidi Standard are in the middle. Then Nike Poggio, I think.

DMT and Vittoria are narrow, with Northwave the narrowest of all.

I'm not sure where Specialized or PI fit in that list.
But if the Specialized fit well before, just try the new models.

Or you could get some custom Rocket 7. :)
Thanks for the info...beeen ages since I've tried new ones. I've been sticking with Specialized but figured I'd expand the search this time around. Was just curious how folks liked what they've tried. My feet are pretty wide as well and the Specialized fit well. Not easy to find places with good stock around me tho...I may have to drive around. Too bad New Balance doesn't make a cycling shoe!

Heh...the Rockets would be nice... :D

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stihl said:
Specialized Pro Carbon.
I wan't going to switch but then I figured I should at least try a few. I'll probably end up buying some new ones, hate em and then duct tape the old ones back together. :D :p

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
They did...

I had a pair but it was a long time ago, I'm thinking a good 10 years ago. They weren't that great. I'm currently wearing Sidi, the ones with the buckle and fish line micro adjust. Fit very well, I'm happy with them. Wore Lake's for a few years, sort of a Shimano knock-off.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I loved the Shimano's. Wore them for years. Last year I had a foot injury & now have to wear very wide shoes. The Shimano wide size was not quite wide enough, so I bought Sidi's Genius Mega. I hate them!

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
I loved the Shimano's. Wore them for years. Last year I had a foot injury & now have to wear very wide shoes. The Shimano wide size was not quite wide enough, so I bought Sidi's Genius Mega. I hate them!
:confused: :eek: That sux...what's next for you?

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
Nike

based on my LBS recommendation, I'm using the new Nike Altea 2+. very comfy
although i've put in the Specialized BG foot beds, which feel pretty good. I found
the current Specialized line to be a bit wide for my narrow-ish feet.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Second the Specialized Pro carbons...

I have EEEE feet, and fit very comfortably into the Specializeds. I just bought a pair last week from the LBS, and they're awesome. Very comfy, great power transfer, etc.

Brooks K.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i have a pair of the specialized bg comp shoes, i really like them, bg footbed, nice and stiff, easy on the wallet. have alot of the features of a higher end shoe, such as a ratchet, at a lower price.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm in the Specialized camp too. After trying on many different shoes, I found the new BodyGeometry series fit me best, and they were bottom of the price range too. Now I have a pair of the Carbon Comps. At least try the Specialized before you buy a new pair. Rumor has it that Floyd Landis approached Specialized and asked to be sponsored by them so he could wear their shoes. They are making some good stuff these days. Check them out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep - Specialized BG Comps

These are amazingly comfortable. Once you put them on it's like you're wearing socks.

The carbon sole is really stiff, and they're pretty light. The velcro straps make them easy to take on/off and there's nothing to break in the long term. It's hard to imagine a better shoe.

I have size 13s with narrow feet, but these still feel comfortable several hours into a ride.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Shoes like saddles are user specific. I have a wide foot. Sidi shoes absolutely killed me. I suffered for a few months in a pair and then tossed them. I used Carnac Legends for years and before that, Time. I recently upgraded my pedals and bought new shoes. Since they come in wide and regular widths, I got a pair of Shimano R215. These are by far the most comfortable road shoe I've had. They're light, the vent system in them works well and they don't cost too much (they're on sale for like $160 at Colorado Cyclist now). Some of these shoes have gone the way Niterider lighting systems. They look a lot better in real life than they do in the pictures.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pmf said:
Shoes like saddles are user specific. I have a wide foot. Sidi shoes absolutely killed me. I suffered for a few months in a pair and then tossed them. I used Carnac Legends for years and before that, Time. I recently upgraded my pedals and bought new shoes. Since they come in wide and regular widths, I got a pair of Shimano R215. These are by far the most comfortable road shoe I've had. They're light, the vent system in them works well and they don't cost too much (they're on sale for like $160 at Colorado Cyclist now). Some of these shoes have gone the way Niterider lighting systems. They look a lot better in real life than they do in the pictures.
Thanks...my foot is pretty wide as well so I'm trying to weed out the ones that are just narrow from the get go...Sidi seems to be one of those unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I tried a pair of Sidi megas on once and they didn't impress me as being very wide. Their standard shoes are really narrow.

Try a pair of the R215's on if you can arrange it, you'll like them if you have a wide foot (make sure you request the wide version, not the regular version).

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
stihl said:
Specialized Pro Carbon.
How do they compare to specialized comp road carbon?

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/itemviewer.asp?ID=876&type=clearance

Mine have a stiffness index of 8.5. What is the stiffness index of the Pro?

I think maybe a 9 stiffness would be cool.

I've really like my Specialized Comp Road Carbons.. after 4,000 miles, I think they are kind of wearing out a little and I could use another pair of something for myself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Stick w/ Specialized

I picked up a pair of Specialized shoes and love them. I have to say, their sizing is a bit weird for me, that seem to run big. But if you go on their website, you might be able to pick up a pair on the cheap. I picked up a pair of the Comp for $80, where my LBS had them for $130.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For what it's worth, the DMT Kyoma & Flash use a different last than the other models & it (the new last) is noticeably wider than the older models.

I used a Sidi Mega previously (admittedly on the narrower side of the "wide" spectrum), but the Kyoma fits me perfectly. I don't think I've ever had a better fitting shoe.

Also, the "split-last" construction that DMT uses on the Flash/Kyoma is more like a fine Italian dress shoe than any other cycling shoe available. You can see how well the interior of the shoe is contoured by taking out the insole & looking/feeling inside the shoe, especially around the heel area.

With that said, they still won't work for everyone, but for me, they're the prefect match.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts