Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DMT Shoe-sole separation

As I'm getting ready to head out, I picked up the shoes and noticed the heel looked a bit funny on one. Closer examination revealed this. :( Didn't expect this, bought them in 12-07 and these have about 1,500-1,700 miles on them. What would you do?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
I had some Shimano R210's that did the same thing. I just bought sone two part liquid epoxy and glued than together. I found that I had to repeat every two years.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Warranty?

Kuma601 said:
As I'm getting ready to head out, I picked up the shoes and noticed the heel looked a bit funny on one. Closer examination revealed this. :( Didn't expect this, bought them in 12-07 and these have about 1,500-1,700 miles on them. What would you do?
IIRC those are expensive shoes, so you might contact the maker about a warranty fix. If you do decide to fix them yourself, be sure to get things as clean as possible on both surfaces before applying the adhesive. That means: 1) mechanically clean by getting all the loose junk out of there, and 2) chemically clean by swabing the surfaces with solvent and letting them dry completely.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Gorilla glue

I hear it is pretty tuff stuff. I would glue. In PGH we have a guy that is an athletic shoe repair guy, he used to do alot of pro player shoes. I'm sure any shoe repair place can fix, Glue and a press, could do it with 2 C clamps and a flat piece of wood on the sole.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...I'll give a ring to Gita Sports and see what they say. Otherwise, I'll take it to the shoe guy and have him do it. Sucks though...no bike time unless I take the commuter out and ride with sneakers. :(

I may just buy another pair so I have back-up. Do you guys have back-up shoes?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Kuma601 said:
Thanks...I'll give a ring to Gita Sports and see what they say. Otherwise, I'll take it to the shoe guy and have him do it. Sucks though...no bike time unless I take the commuter out and ride with sneakers. :(

Sounds like a plan.

My older Nike shoes look to be having something similar happening so I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if your method works. I doubt I can call Nike anyway since they stop selling their products/making them for consumers now.

I have a new pair of Nike shoes that I just got so that's the spare and worse case, I could use my yet another Nike pair that's mounted with Look cleats and just swap them out. Or swap the pedals.

IMO, it's a good idea to have a spare pair but then again, you don't really need a spare most of the time too right?

Keep us updated on what the stat is with the shoes. Thanks and good luck.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
Kuma601 said:

did imelda marcos have more than one closet?

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
A little different take...

I would steer clear of any of the super stiff glues. With the flexing in a shoe, they would probably either shear or tear either the sole or the body.

If it were me, I'd go down to my local marine store and get a tube of GE 5200 silicone adhesive. Probably the white fast cure stuff. It will make an incredibly strong bond that will never fail, yet remain flexible enough to handle the shoe/sole flex. The white fast cure takes 24 hours to set up, the black long cure takes 7 days, YMMV

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Contacted Gita e-mail and sent along the pic. They relayed this to the DMT division and they will warranty the shoes. I'll pack them up and send them off. :) :thumbsup:

Meantime, Glory Cycles has some black versions available, I'll order those.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Glad they're making an adjustment for you. I, myself, like to use Shoe Goo for those kinds of repairs. IME, it's great stuff.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll keep Shoe Goo in mind. From the responses, seems that this occurs with some frequency? With such a high stress area, the manufacturers I'd think would adjust for this and design the heel area better. Unless I need to pony in excess of 2 bills for a durable shoe?

So far, very pleased with Gita's response. Their reply was in my mail box at 6am, DMT's response at 6:44am, a follow-up question by 10:19am.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The replacements arrived today so I'll put the cleat base plates on and get back on the road. :) Happy with the way Gita handled this matter...no resistance, e-mails returned timely and any phone calls I made they provided the necessary needed info.

:thumbsup: to GITA Sports and DMT. :D

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<sigh> Here I go again...Disappointing to experience this again. These are out of warranty so I'll run these by the shoe repair shop or I'll do the epoxy route myself. Some well aged leather Lotto's lasted a good decade before the drying leather and wear caused the soles to separate.

It's not like I'm some mega watt rider nor do I walk in these much. From door to entryway...maybe 16' of walking per ride. :(

·
Banned
2,073 Posts
<sigh> Here I go again...Disappointing to experience this again. These are out of warranty so I'll run these by the shoe repair shop or I'll do the epoxy route myself. Some well aged leather Lotto's lasted a good decade before the drying leather and wear caused the soles to separate.

It's not like I'm some mega watt rider nor do I walk in these much. From door to entryway...maybe 16' of walking per ride. :(
At this point I would pull them apart the rest of the way and clean with a wire brush. Coat each piece with a good coat or contact cement or rubber cement, basically the same thing. and clamp the two pieces together. Let dry and cure over night and you should be golden for years to come. Epoxy and Gorilla glue work, but get brittle over time and fail. There is a reason shoe manufacturers use rubber cement.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Shoe Goo is like industrial strength rubber cement. Rubber cement on steroids. I'd put it on generously after cleaning the surfaces. I'd also clamp it over night using a 1x4 & a couple of C clamps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's kind of interesting that this thread should resurface today...

It's my dad's birthday today, but as an early birthday present I took him to a LBS yesterday to get a new pair of cycling shoes...

Well he decided on a nice looking pair of DMT shoes. He liked them because they fit great and they kind of looked like soccer cleats which reminded him of his semi-pro days. As I began to take a closer look at the display model I checked the stiffness of the sole and BAM the heel end of it detached just like your second picture shows!

I assumed that maybe since it was the display model it must have been abused from people trying it on so I pulled another one out of a box and I checked that one again and the same exact thing happened!

Well I'm assuming the manager must have been pretty embarrassed when my dad told him about it (since he was set on that pair) that he ended up giving us a solid deal on a pair of Giro Factors. So much so, that I ended up picking up a pair for myself!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like these shoes since they fit me well. BUT, this drill does become tiresome. I'll look for a flexible bonding adhesive for these. This pair has about 3K miles. I have a back-up pair of the same shoe but the confidence is gone.

Not long ago I was browsing a higher line bike shop in the area. A guy brought some very well used Sidi's and asked if spare parts were still available. The sales guy went to get the Sidi book and make some calls. I started talking to him. He's had the shoes for 6 years and rides about 8K annually. He said he loves them and while he could buy a new pair, why? Though ugly they still did what they needed to. I was impressed. Parts could be obtained and the sales guy said he might like model X that replaced his current ones. He declined and ordered the buckle and strap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.