Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I was looking at the Shimano SPD SL pedals and shoes, but realized that SPD and SPD SL are different. So here is the deal.

I have a Fuel EX 29er that I ride and want to go clipless
I also have a Fuji GranFondo 2.5 that I want to go to clipless

I would like to use one pair of shoes for both activities, but am not sure whether the regular SPD will suck at road, but am certain that SPD SL will suck on the trail, especially when i need them to grip to walk up a hill I can't ride up.

The only cost effective idea i have is to get SPD SL pedals for the roadie, and SPD pedals for the MTB, and then swap clips on the shoes when I do different rides. That, or I can just use SPD pedals on both bikes, even though they will look silly on the roadie.

So, suggestions for how to make this work??? :) thanks all!

·
Registered
268 Posts
SPD will be fine for road. Once you are clipped in, SPD perform basically the same as SPD-SL. The difference is in the shoe. Mountain bike shoes are generally not as stiff, and so you may be losing a little in power transfer. But unless you're riding competitively, it won't matter.

On the other hand, you won't be happy with SPD-SL offroad. Especially if you are doing a lot of walking. They become easily clogged with mud, and can make it a nightmare to clip in/out.

My vote is for SPD/MTB shoes. There are plenty of people that do it.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
SPD will be fine for road. Once you are clipped in, SPD perform basically the same as SPD-SL. The difference is in the shoe. Mountain bike shoes are generally not as stiff, and so you may be losing a little in power transfer. But unless you're riding competitively, it won't matter.

On the other hand, you won't be happy with SPD-SL offroad. Especially if you are doing a lot of walking. They become easily clogged with mud, and can make it a nightmare to clip in/out.

My vote is for SPD/MTB shoes. There are plenty of people that do it.
That's it. There is no other answer.

As to mtn bike pedals looking silly. That's just a bizarre comment. Speedplay pedals look nothing like shimano pedals for example. There really is no standard "road bike look"

And switching cleats (they are called cleats not clips) on you shoes depending which bike you ride is a horrible idea. First off all you can't because mtn bike shoes won't accept road cleats and visa versa. Second cleat placement is very important and sometime difficult to dial in. You don't want to be dealing with that every time you go for a bike ride.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using mtn bike shoes and pedals on a road bike.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What they said. SPD "mountain bike" pedals will work fine on the road, especially if you get a shoe with a reasonably stiff sole. And swapping cleats is utterly impractical. As for the looks, basically people can hardly even see your pedals when you're riding a road bike, even if they cared to look.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I use Shimano M088 shoes with 2-bolt cleats. Shimano makes a nearly identical shoe with 3-bolt road cleats and no treads. When "clipless" first came out I got 3-bolt cleats, I think made by Look. When 2-bolt cleats came out, I thought they were a better design, and remained oblivious to the fact that they were for mountain bikers until fairly recently.

I mainly want the treads so I don't slip and fall and get a repeat of link 3 in my sig.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So of all the different SPD pedals offered, which would you guys recommend for a road bike? Probably the lightest ones? I'm not worried about a few grams so much on my 28lb Fuel EX, but don't want to bulk up my Fuji, so I'd probably want the lighter/est pedals they offer.

As far as shoes, I know other companies besides Shimano make SPD shoes, any of them worth looking at or just stick to the well known? I was looking at Shimano 056 (or 065) shoes.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
What shoes you want is dependent on your feet. Look at them, go to a LBS and try some MBike shoes on. They have very stiff ones that you cannot tell diff from road shoes. If you fit into shimano shoes now, they are ok, but there are a bunch others and they all feel different.

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
I tried this for a while, road shoes breath much better and are typically lighter. I just have 2 seperate sets of shoes now. Also my Mtb shoes would develop hot spots at around the 30 mile mark

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Shimano PD-A600
And hello! First post for me
To each his own, but could not STAND these pedals. Yes, they are light.. but, one sided, and if you end up on the wrong side of the pedal.. ick... I also had issues with the bearings on mine. Ended up in the recycle bin.

I ended up going to Speedplay Pave on my gravel bike and hardtail, and Speedplay Zero on my roadbikes. Same shoes for all of them.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
So of all the different SPD pedals offered, which would you guys recommend for a road bike? Probably the lightest ones? I'm not worried about a few grams so much on my 28lb Fuel EX, but don't want to bulk up my Fuji, so I'd probably want the lighter/est pedals they offer.

As far as shoes, I know other companies besides Shimano make SPD shoes, any of them worth looking at or just stick to the well known? I was looking at Shimano 056 (or 065) shoes.

After going through a whole pile of them (like approaching $1K worth of pedals), including the A600 below, which I really wanted to like, I wound up with XTR trail pedals. I have a box full of SPD fail, including some expensive Ritches with less than 5 miles on them, and a whole lot of other slightly used or nearly new and some heavily used SPDs (including a bunch of Nashbar specials which were perfectly fine before I broke my ankle).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just went through this as a new road rider. I'm an avid mtb'r and have developed a desire for nice gear and currently run Shimano SPD XTR Trail pedals. I wasn't interested in running out and spending another $200+ on road shoes, especially since I wasn't sure if the road thing would stick for me, not to mention that Art's Cyclery just had a smokin' sale price on these very PI mtb shoes so I bought another set waiting for the first to fail. I sprang for a set of Shimano XTR XC pedals which are 2 sided, great for those stop and goes through town while I'm on my out to the roads less traveled. I did a lot of comparison and these are only about 10 grams heavier than their road counterpart so weight is hardly a penalty. The combo is working great and these shoes are so comfortable and easy to walk in, as well as hike-a-bike on the trail, I catch myself wearing them around for a long time after a ride when I'm taking care of bikes and such. Worst case, I figured, was the XTR XC's become a secondary set for my mtb....but I don't think that will be necessary.

If anything, consider upgrading your mtb shoe to a nice stiff carbon sole and you will see the attributes while using them on both platforms. Cheaper, non carbon soles will be crappy for the mtb after they begin to soften and will probably be a nightmare on the road bike at that point. Spend your money on good shoes.

Shimano PD-M9000 XTR XC Race Pedal

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I actually bought a backup pair of the XTR trail pedals (I got the Blue Shimano Limited Edition 20th Anniversary ones to match the decals on my bike.)

Do you have a link for the shoes?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The killer deal is long done but the PI Project 2.0 or even the 3.0 is great shoes if it fits your foot. Obviously, everybody has a different need and these PI were the magic for me. I used to run Shimano shoes and they fit well so if you're been in a Shimano footbed, perhaps the PI's will work.

Pearl Izumi X Project 2.0 Mountain Shoes Grey/Black

Edit: There is a killer deal on remaining Project 3.0! Not a lot of sizes, though. That WAS a near $200 shoe not long ago.

Pearl Izumi X Project 3.0 Mountain Shoes Black

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I say if you are passionate about both forms of riding then aspire to get different pedals/shoes for mtn vs road. I don't mountain bike anymore but when I did I could not have imagined using the same shoes for both activities. I was a pretty hardcore XC trail rider so mtn shoe had toe spikes in addition to recessed SPD cleats, an extremely rugged sole, and were always wet, muddy, and gross. Sometimes even bloody ! Relatively heavy too. Laces under velcro straps. Road shoes are light, extremely stiff, and have larger SPD-SL cleats which, at my size, I find more comfortable. And when I ride on the road I have no expectation that I'll be walking around so I don't mind they are stiff and hard to walk in.

I get that budget may not let you do this. Really, I do. I was lucky enough that I could afford separate back when I did both passionately. So if you ride hard off road I'd say get SPDs and shoes biased toward mtb riding. Later you can get the road specific stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a great deal. Thanks for the link and taking a look. I take size 47 Shimano and size 46 Giro. Both are available. Any idea if their sizing runs large or small?

Sorry, I need to learn to read:
And I would concur with that. I'm normally a 43, maybe 43.5 if available, I'm wearing the PI in a 44 so it's just a touch on the small side.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another option could be Speedplay Frogs.
I've used them on the road for a couple of years.

Was recently looking at the Lake CX237 for a new road shoe, but it was loose in the heel.
The Lake MX237 is a mtb shoe, but with the same sole as the CX.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I like SPD on my road bike.

One advantage of SPD on road bikes is the no-look stomp and go when I take off from a stop light. Most riders seem to look down to clip in to road pedals.

I can use the same shoes on my gravel and touring bike.

I've clipped out once or twice when doing a full effort acceleration from a stop. I think I must have twisted my foot just enough to unclip.

Shoes
My Sidi Dominator shoes have stiff soles for no hot spots from the small pedal, but are still reasonable for walking. Very comfortable for 100 mile rides. And they last forever.

Pedals
The PD-M540 pedals have sealed bearings. Worth the upgrade from the cheaper SPDs.

Speedplay
Some of the local riders use Speedplay pedals on their road bike. I've never tried them, but they seem to work fine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts