Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet some of these will end up on Ebay...

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Aw c'mon - tell us the story behind the picture!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much of a story: a ship lost some containers during a storm and they broke open when they washed ashore. In the meantime riot police have been dispatched to the area to stop the load from being looted too much. The containers themselves are no-go, you can however pick up what's on the beach. You wish you were here, huh? ;)

·
Banned
349 Posts
It's obvious that some container ship lost a container at sea. Then these things wash up on shore.

I live near the mouth of the Columbia River. That's a nasty bar. They call it "The Graveyard of the Pacific." So, after storms I head to the beach to see what's blown off the freighters. Mostly I find 5 gallon water containers. Those get stowed on deck and go overboard all the time. Once they're emptied the crews have a bad habit of not securing them on the deck.

Crab floats are plentiful, some crab rings. But the one item that you see a lot of on the beach, washed up from ships at sea . . . tampon applicators. Seems like they should be required to be biodegradable.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Anybody remember when Nike lost those containers?

I've forgotten the details, but maybe 15 years ago a container or two of running shoes, I think Nikes, washed off a ship and broke open. Shoes drifted all over the world, and scientists used them to plot currents, wind action etc.
As for the tampon applicators Hardy Cyclamens mentioned...damn things show up everywhere. I used to live near the beaches in both northern and southern Cal, and we'd run on the hard sand several times a week. Between those, cigarette filters and miscellaneous foam products, the sand was pretty well paved.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
psychoryder said:
If they fit, can we keep them?
I hope you mean the shoes... eeeeewwwwwwwwwwweeeeeee

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Cory said:
As for the tampon applicators Hardy Cyclamens mentioned...damn things show up everywhere. I used to live near the beaches in both northern and southern Cal, and we'd run on the hard sand several times a week. Between those, cigarette filters and miscellaneous foam products, the sand was pretty well paved.
Yea but remember the summer of medical supplies? I remember everyone was terrified used needles washing up by the hundreds on the east coast.

·
Registered
656 Posts
you think that's bad?

i live in southern california, and i spent most of my childhood, early- and mid-teen years on the beach. aside from cigs, the most common sight on the beach is that of condoms. i guess some people really are into the whole sex on the beach thing, huh? good for them, i guess, but damn, don't leave your used protection lying on the sand for people to step on!

one time, many moons ago, i was on the Junior Lifeguards squad for my city. we were on a 4-mile jog on the wet sand near the water, and i stepped on a condom because i wasn't looking where i was going. i had this instantaneous (and very violent) reaction that involved springing about four feet off the ground, flailing my arms and legs, and screaming "oh, ******g SICK!"

also, i'm pretty sure that latex is very far from being biodegradable.

moral of the story: if you're going to have sex on the beach, don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts