Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got some Sidi Genius 5s that I put 1500 miles on before I abandoned them. Wedges and different cleat positions did nothing to alleviate the foot pain and I suspect was what brought on the inflamed IT band that I am currently struggling with. My old shoes are Specialized BGs that are around 8 years old but my feet are relatively comfortable in them. I just tried out some new Specialized BG Carbons. They made my feet hurt too and made them go to sleep. Even though I just did a 25 mile ride in them I think I should return them while I can. Should I give them some time to break in or just go back to what I know works? I don't want to end up with another pair of shoes that I can't return or use.

·
It's not easy being green
316 Posts
Return them now, while you can. It sounds like you need a wider shoe. Have you tried Shimano? I have sidi's and my feet are narrow. Go try as many pairs on as you can. Mabye you need to go up a size as well. Bike shoes don't change that much from new. If you can afford it, I have heard great things about the shimano shoes you cook. Custom fit.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Well I got some Sidi Genius 5s that I put 1500 miles on before I abandoned them. Wedges and different cleat positions did nothing to alleviate the foot pain and I suspect was what brought on the inflamed IT band that I am currently struggling with. My old shoes are Specialized BGs that are around 8 years old but my feet are relatively comfortable in them. I just tried out some new Specialized BG Carbons. They made my feet hurt too and made them go to sleep. Even though I just did a 25 mile ride in them I think I should return them while I can. Should I give them some time to break in or just go back to what I know works? I don't want to end up with another pair of shoes that I can't return or use.
what size? i need some new shoes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shimano 220

kermit said:
Return them now, while you can. It sounds like you need a wider shoe. Have you tried Shimano? I have sidi's and my feet are narrow. Go try as many pairs on as you can. Mabye you need to go up a size as well. Bike shoes don't change that much from new. If you can afford it, I have heard great things about the shimano shoes you cook. Custom fit.

I have these Shimano shoes and highly recommend them. I tried to where my Sidis yesterday. Put them on, took them off, put on the 220s. My wife has difficulty with her feet swelling from the heat in summer.

So far this summer, no issues with her moldable women's version of the 220.

If you have to get new shoes, try them on. I think you'll like them.

Konaken

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
what size? i need some new shoes.
Well, believe it or not I got Veltec sports to warranty them and they are sending me back 44 megas but I don't even want to mess with them so I'll have a brand new pair of Genius 5 44 megas that could be had for a song and a dance. Actually I got them for $180 plus tax so that's what I would need for them.

I should be getting them back today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just a thought, and I'm certaintly no MD, but have you considered going with a shoe with a little bit softer sole? Perhaps the carbon on the Specialized was so stiff that it was aggravating your knee issues? I know the popular thing to do is get the sitffest soles out there, and I'm no different, I have full carbon northwaves, but perhaps a plastic composite sole that is a bit softer would be a good thing for you?

I use a pair of Garneau Ergo-Air's on crappy weather days and rides over 4 hours. The soles are type of molded plastic and are much more comefortable than my northwaves for the long days. Also I tend to see more attention to padding in the uppers and sides on the "lower level" ie non-carbon sole shoes as the manufs. typically are less concerned with weight on these shoes. By product is a more comefortable shoe. That said I wouldn't race in the Garneaus, but when I ride 6 days a week and one is a race, comefort for those other 5 days shouldn't be overlooked.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Well, believe it or not I got Veltec sports to warranty them and they are sending me back 44 megas but I don't even want to mess with them so I'll have a brand new pair of Genius 5 44 megas that could be had for a song and a dance. Actually I got them for $180 plus tax so that's what I would need for them.

I should be getting them back today or tomorrow.
too bad...I'd need 45 regular width.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.