Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm convinced my size 45.5 Sidi Mega shoes are the right size for my feet, but I still get foot fatigue. While out today, I found myself wondering how big a role pedal stroke may play in foot fatigue? For example, I work hard a pedaling in "circles", but there is still part of the stroke when you put pressure on the pedals from 12-6.

How about carbon soles as compared to other materials - would carbon soles eliminate pressure points because the whole sole is a more solid platform as opposed to other materials where the you can feel your cleats and pedals and hence have pressure points build up over time?

Would inserts make a difference, I have normal feet - no issues with flat feet, high arches, etc (I know this from years of running), but sense maybe there might be something there for me relative to riding?

Or is foot fatigue simply part of the suffering that riding hard is all about? If this is the story, what tricks have people used to work through it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your foot fatigue may be the result of an unnatural foot motion caused by footwear, pedal motion or other.
A few yrs ago i worked with a friend who is a sports therapist specializing in footwear, specifically hockey. He found too many players will just accept skates that squeezed their feet so much that they experienced foot fatigue and were constantly tired because of it.

If you feel that the shoes you have are perfect and the width is sufficient then i would examine the float in your pedals
If you have no float then your natural pedaling motion may be forced to move thats unnatural and anything from your shims to ankles to the sides of your feet are working more than they should.

Try pedaling on a trainer with flat dress shoes on. Have someone view your pedaling action from the rear and ask them to watch your heel motion. Or if you dont have anyone get a camcorder and record your heel movement.
If you find your heels rotate inwards or outwards as you pedal etc then you will need some float or more float for better motion so the balls of your feet are doing all the pedaling work.
I suspect your calves hurt after some time??? Or they too seem to be getting tired?
If so then your pedaling motions are restricted

·
Registered
47 Posts
ericm979 said:
What is "foot fatigue"?
"foot fatigue" is basically as easy as its pronounced.
Many people experience all different types of foot fatigue or foot tiredness. The symptoms are as i just said, tiredness and maybe including numbness, tingling, heavy heals when walking, inner foot arch pain or numbness. Anything that will result in having the feeling of heavy feet and/or tiredness. People who are standing up stationary for long periods (without a lot of foot movement) that are not used to doing so will result in a heavy heal feeling and will have the need to get off their feet and have them rubbed or massaged. The massaging helps circulate blood as well as the weight off your feet will bring temporary comfort back.

Besides the constant weight theres many other factors that may cause that sluggish feeling in your feet as you walk. Improper arch support is one and the most overlooked is poor fitting footwear.
Find yourself a pair of boots and have them fixed that they toe-in 10% and try walking in them for 1 mile. After that mile you will sense your feet are extremely tired.
Poor fitting footwear will cause your shins, calves and other internal foot muscles to work harder than they should.
In the case of cycling, improper float can cause simular effects. In fact it can be worse if pain reaches the knees and gets ignored.
My friend who is a certified foot therapist for sports medicine did a lot of work with skiers. Since skiing requires weight shifting from outside foot to inside foot he's seen a lot of people get arch and foot pains from improper ski boots with poorly made boot cushions/support. This is why custom inner boot moldings have become so popular.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
You might try some over-the-counter footbeds, such as Superfeet, Specialized, Sole, etc. I can't wear the stock footbeds that come with my cycling shoes. I take them out and replace them. My feet are beat up from my running days. I have a narrow, rigid foot with high arches. I have bursitis in my right heel and an old achilles tendon injury.

I'm currently using Specialized Body Geometry High Performance footbeds that come with shims that go underneath the footbed. I had a little difficulty at first. I found it's best to use use them for a short time to start and gradually build the time up until you can wear them all the time. I don't know if this comes with the instructions. Specialized.com/ (sorry I could not get the url to click on)

I'm not saying these will work for you. I am no expert. Worth a try.

Carbon shoes are stiff. I've used them. They hold up well. The uppers will break down before the soles. I'm currently used a shoe with a fiberglass sole and they work fine.

If everything else fails, see a professional.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The specialized BG inserts are great if you need them. Also pedals make a difference, i used to run eggbeaters but theyd only feel good for the first 40 miles or so. Im now using Look Keo's and they feel great because theres more for me to push against. Check your cleat placement too, the ball of your foot should be just ahead of center on the spindle. Also saddle height can play a role.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
If you are getting a hotspot, try switching to a larger size cleat (Look, Time, or similar). If you're getting numbness/tingling across the entire bottom surface (your plantar facia), you could probably use a decent arch support.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had the same problem a few years ago-- returning from a ride feeling like I had been standing on a concrete floor all day. Replace the Sidi insoles with Specialized Body Geometry insoles (or something similar). Sidi makes great shoes but flimsy insoles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.