Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Im thinking about buying new shoes but Im having the problem of finding a double wide pair. I have high arches and it tends to make my shoe sizes on the wide side of things.

During my rides... I am finding that outside edge of my foot is getting numb and Im thinking its the width of the shoe. (I tried loosening and foot adjusting but once I hit 20+ miles... it goes numb).

Any suggestions out there?

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Road or Mountain? Cheap or Expensive?

I found some $70 mountain shoes that fit my wide/high-arch feet better than any I've had before.

·
wrm
72 Posts
Curious that you didn't mention your actual foot size and width ? Just saying it would be easier to make any useful recommendation. However, with that said, the outside of the foot/feet ? Smells like a wedge issue. As a long time cyclist I graduated from toeclips/straps to clipless in the late 1980's and developed this same symptom. Clipless hold your foot in a much different way and wedges are often required.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Bill

·
Registered
879 Posts
I also use Sidi Genius Megas (most of my shoes are EEE, I have a high arch, high instep, and need a wide toe box, but my heel is normal).

My podiatrist recommended a commercial orthotic footbed, Aetrex, that I use (they have various types, for flat feet, high arches, etc.). The podiatrist wrote down the specific features that I needed. The footbed supplied by Sidi (at least in my shoes) was crummy, I think that everyone should replace it with a quality insert. I don't think Sidi really intends people to use it, but instead expect people to buy the footbed or insert that they need.

My feet are comfy, and the footbed eliminated the numbness in my toes that I was experiencing.

-----------------

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I found some $70 mountain shoes that fit my wide/high-arch feet better than any I've had before.
Road bike and price is not really "kinda" important. (Well, Im hoping not crazy expensive... just reasonable is what im hoping for.) Theory is comfort will get me to ride more and I have no problem making sure the contact points are comfortable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious that you didn't mention your actual foot size and width ? Just saying it would be easier to make any useful recommendation. However, with that said, the outside of the foot/feet ? Smells like a wedge issue. As a long time cyclist I graduated from toeclips/straps to clipless in the late 1980's and developed this same symptom. Clipless hold your foot in a much different way and wedges are often required.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Bill
Sorry. I know my question was lacking a lot of information.
Road Bike
Size 12
Width (i dont know... I do wear wide dress shoes and they are still tight)

The numbness is on the outside of both feet. And I will look up what a "wedge" is... Im a bit new to cycling and terms and my overall goal is to gain back my health via riding.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also use Sidi Genius Megas (most of my shoes are EEE, I have a high arch, high instep, and need a wide toe box, but my heel is normal).

My podiatrist recommended a commercial orthotic footbed, Aetrex, that I use (they have various types, for flat feet, high arches, etc.). The podiatrist wrote down the specific features that I needed. The footbed supplied by Sidi (at least in my shoes) was crummy, I think that everyone should replace it with a quality insert. I don't think Sidi really intends people to use it, but instead expect people to buy the footbed or insert that they need.

My feet are comfy, and the footbed eliminated the numbness in my toes that I was experiencing.
Nice. Thanks for the info. +3 for Sidi Genius Mega. Never thought about the inserts either. I too have have high arches and instep and heel is normal. I think its time to go to the podiatrist to see what they can say about bike riding.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the Sidid Genius Mega in both the 5 and 6.6 (the ankle lock is nice as I have narrow ankles) iterations and have been using the Genius line for years. I use the very thin insert, which I actually find helpful as it maxes the volume of the shoe.

What I do is I cut out the raised lip of the insole under the arch. I do this with all my shoes as it helps center my foot strike and eliminate tendon pain. In order to prevent lateral pressure, for me at least, I have to make sure than my forefoot rests as much to the center as possible. It's also very important to line up the fastening strap so that the line between the "i" and "d" in the Sidi label lines up with the middle of the shoe.

Foot problems tend to be made worse by "technical fixes". The best advice I ever got was from a doctor who told me to always get high volume, wide shoes (3E - my right foot measures 4E) but to go barefoot as much as possible and to wear simple sandals too. It may sound counterintuitive, but foot problems are really a "developed world" problem where people go around with their feet encased in shoes that force the bones into unnatural positions and prevent the tendons from fully engaging in propelling the body forward. Supports (orthoses, medial posts, gel pads, etc) tend to trade off foot comfort for an accelerated atrophy of the tendinous infrastructure.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts

I'm on a tight budget and only use one pair for all my riding.
I bought these Diadora shoes from performance for $70 and really like them.
The soles are fiberglass-reinforced molded plastic and very stiff. They are wide enough for me and the straps go through loops that allow you to lengthen them for high arches.
I've gone over them carefully and they are well constructed with perfect stitching.
View attachment 282835
The size 44 fit my 9 1/2W feet perfectly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use Sidi genius 5 megawides on the road, size 45. I also have a pair of Lake CX190 that I use for spin class. The Lakes have a wider toe box, forefoot area and are much higher in the instep. I can ratched the top straps down quite a bit on them. The Sidis are snugger in the toe box / forefoot area but work for me. The instep is much shorter, but also works for me. The Sidis are much lighter than the Lakes, but also about 3X the price. I originally had Sidi genius 3 in 44.5 megawide and could only just barely latch the top strap. So my advice is to make sure you have plenty of instep room if Sidis are your choice. Remember, after a few hours on the bike in hot weather, you are going to need to loosen that straps a little to prevent hot foot. I also use an aftermarket insole. I think they are called esoles and they come with various inserts for arch and whatever that bit is at the front of your foot. I use the highest arch one in the container. For reference, my dress shoes are Johnstone and Murphy 10.5 EE and atheletic shoes would typicall be New Balance or Brooks 10.5 EE.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use Sidi genius 5 megawides on the road, size 45. I also have a pair of Lake CX190 that I use for spin class. The Lakes have a wider toe box, forefoot area and are much higher in the instep. I can ratched the top straps down quite a bit on them. The Sidis are snugger in the toe box / forefoot area but work for me. The instep is much shorter, but also works for me. The Sidis are much lighter than the Lakes, but also about 3X the price. I originally had Sidi genius 3 in 44.5 megawide and could only just barely latch the top strap. So my advice is to make sure you have plenty of instep room if Sidis are your choice. Remember, after a few hours on the bike in hot weather, you are going to need to loosen that straps a little to prevent hot foot. I also use an aftermarket insole. I think they are called esoles and they come with various inserts for arch and whatever that bit is at the front of your foot. I use the highest arch one in the container. For reference, my dress shoes are Johnstone and Murphy 10.5 EE and atheletic shoes would typicall be New Balance or Brooks 10.5 EE.
Nice.... thanks for that comparison. Since I wear size 12 (US) I think I am size 47 (EU). I tried a Sidi Genius Mega 5.5 at size 46 (11.5 US) but my big toe was touching the front of the shoe. But the shoe box felt great. It was the end of the day and Im hoping that was the closest thing I can get to a true feel of what the proper size should be.

Now im just thinking if there is a big difference between 5.5 vs 6 since the price difference is over $100.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Hello. Im thinking about buying new shoes but Im having the problem of finding a double wide pair. I have high arches and it tends to make my shoe sizes on the wide side of things.

During my rides... I am finding that outside edge of my foot is getting numb and Im thinking its the width of the shoe. (I tried loosening and foot adjusting but once I hit 20+ miles... it goes numb).

Any suggestions out there?
Have you tried shoes bigger than you normally wear?

Since I realized long time ago that companies make their own sizes: Eight shoe companies; eight size 12's :rolleyes: .

With that in mind, try on bigger shoes. If you wear a 12, try on a 13, or a 14, or even a 15 for each brand of shoe.

With trying on bigger sizes; As long as your heel doesn't float but stays put in the heel pocket, you're good to go.

My feet measure 12" by 5"

My Shimano MTB shoes are a Euro 49 Wide. Shimano says it's a U.S. size 13.2 W.

My Le Sportiva Baruntse mountaineering boots are a size Euro 50.

My Allen Edmonds dress shoes are a size U.S. 12 6E or EEEEEE :eek: !

My Sperry Top-Siders are a size U.S. 13 Wide.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Definitely inserts, make sure you have room at the toes, and then get a new fitting with the new shoes and inserts in place, then the fitter can add wedges, etc. Don't attempt to do the wedges or spacers yourself. You could really screw up your knees that way.

These are the Yellow Superfeet, which are supposed to be cycling-specific. A lot of cyclists prefer the Green Superfeet.
Superfeet Premium Insoles : Yellow : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.

Green are recommended for people with high arches.
Superfeet Premium Insoles : Green : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely inserts, make sure you have room at the toes, and then get a new fitting with the new shoes and inserts in place, then the fitter can add wedges, etc. Don't attempt to do the wedges or spacers yourself. You could really screw up your knees that way.

These are the Yellow Superfeet, which are supposed to be cycling-specific. A lot of cyclists prefer the Green Superfeet.
Superfeet Premium Insoles : Yellow : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.

Green are recommended for people with high arches.
Superfeet Premium Insoles : Green : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.
Nice. Thanks for the insert info. I was looking at some insert where they "mold it" to your feet but it was like $80 at the lbs. Need to find out what they are called so I can understand the types of inserts too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.