Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of commute options. Lately, I've started to ride my beater fixie 3 miles to a train station that has a better schedule than the one I can walk to. Other days I commute all the way to work (10-12 miles) on my nicer fixie that I can take into the office with me, where I can change out of bike shoes.

For the beater bike, I've been riding with old pedals, no clips or anything, and street shoes and it kinda sucks. Most of my shoes are running shoes--soft and so big that I'm always banging into the chainstay with my heel, etc. Or slipping off the pedals altogether which sucks on a fixie as you negotiate a rotary in Massachusetts.

Should I put toe clips on the existing pedals or replace them with eggbeaters (like I have on my other fixie) and get a "casual" bike shoe like this Diadora RPM that is on sale at Nashbar for $50?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...16829&storetype=estore&estoreid=594&pagename=

Are those shoes really walkable? My other shoes are Specialized MTB shoes that, well, you can walk maybe a block in them and Sidi road shoes that you can walk maybe across a parking lot. Neither shoe can negotiate stairs without white knuckles on the railing.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
"Casual" shoes all the way. I hate riding without clipless pedals, so it's the best alternative.

I have a pair of Shimanos that are basically slip-ons with one velcro strap. I didn't see them at Nashbar. I even have sandals with cleats.

These Adidas are also really, really nice. The pic is too dark, though.

These are same shoes, in white.

· Registered
444 Posts
if you use SPDs, i have had good luck using the one sided pedals. i can hop on the bike in whatever shoes if i feel like it, or wear my riding shoes if i want to be clipped in.

there are tons of options for the 'casual rider' shoe. I have used a few from shimano (on sale at LBS) and find them so roomy and loose compared to my SIDIs that I might as well just wear regular shoes and not clip in. but that's just me.

if you are content to not clip in, i like wearing skateboarding sneakers from Vans. Lots of grip on the pedals, comfy and oh so trendy in a traditional sort of way.

· Registered
53 Posts
Work shoes ok

By work shoes, I mean wingtips, captoes whatever.

On my fixie (20-30 minute commute into downtown) I wear dress shoes. The pedaling is made easier by the cheapo reversible Performance pedals (platform on one side, SPD on the other).
However, I find that leather soled shoes don't hold the platform side as well as something with a more rubberized sole.

For what it's worth, I typically put on a very thin rubber outsole over my leather soles (helps in our changing New England climes) and those shoes with this thin outsole do just fine on platform pedals. Your commute to the train station seems just the right length for such an option.

M_B

· Registered
107 Posts
Toe clips are nice

I run steel toe clips and leather straps on some old Suntour pedals on my fixed gear. They work great with the right shoes. I use Adidas Samba soccer shoes but Converse all-stars work well. Basically you need a shoe with smooth soles and a low profile.

I used to run SPD and low-end Shimano Mountain-biking shoes. I think the toe clips work just as good for commuting and I don't have to change my shoes when I get to work.

· Registered
89 Posts
I use Lake sandals which I think are awesome. I've been using the sandals for over a year now. Another option w/c I use are the Lake 160(?) mtb shoes w/ the Vibram soles. The shoes are on the heavy side but the soles are worth it. Both options are very walkable. The sandals are so comfy I sometimes forget to change to my work shoes:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.