Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searche the threads to no avail, and besides things change with time...

So what do you use for clipless shoes and pedals? I wish I could find a really good road shoe that I could walk in.

so lets hear it...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am aware of the mtb option, but most have really aggressive tread.

I am wondering if anyone notices the smaller platform of spd pedals on the road with a more flexible shoe? I have never noticed while mountain biking, but well, riding road is quite different.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
kayakguy said:
I wish I could find a really good road shoe that I could walk in...
that can be tough, depending on what you mean by "really good road shoe," and what you mean by "walk". I can walk a short distance reasonably well with Look cleats with rubber Kool Kovers on them, but I wouldn't want to walk too far. If you really mean suitable for walking around comfortably for a substantial time, and not looking too funny, I think you've got to look at mountain bike shoes that recess the cleat, and using a spd-type pedal, ad Becky suggests. There are lots of good reasonably-priced ones out there.

As for the small platform issue, I don't think it's a real issue with good shoes, but consider one of the pedals with a cage around the mechanism, for more support. For a touring/commuting bike, the dual-purpose pedals (cleat mech on one side, plain cage for street shoes on the other) are a good compromise. I use them on my rain commuter, which is also the errand bike.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
kayakguy said:
Yeah I am aware of the mtb option, but most have really aggressive tread.

I am wondering if anyone notices the smaller platform of spd pedals on the road with a more flexible shoe? I have never noticed while mountain biking, but well, riding road is quite different.
Are you looking for a shoe you can wear all day or something? How walkable do you need this shoe to be- around the block or 2 miles to lunch?

If you really want walkable, yer best bet is to either get a pair of toe clips and just ride in normal shoes (or just get a pair of flat pedals and skip the clips- that's worked for me) or to just bring your good shoes to work. I leave a pair in my locker.

I wear a pair of dominators and clip into a pair of crank bros pedals- never noticed the smaller platform. Then again, the dominators aren't exactly flexy.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Becky said:
MTB shoes. SPD pedals.
To elaborate, Nike something or other MTB shoes with a small-block rubber outsole, rather than plasticky death spikes. And no, the smaller platform of the SPDs doesn't bother me but, then again, I'd steer clear of "platform-less" pedals like Eggbeaters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am looking for walkable as in around the market without scuffing the floors or looking too bizzare.

Right now I use looks on the road. Yes they can be walked in but not much at all, not even around the block reasonably. Plus they squeek while riding. It is driving me mad. After much frustration and grease I eventually realized it is the cleat and pedal interface that is making the noise. I have used soap to temporarily solve the problem, but still...

So now I am thinking a new cleat system is needed so I might as well have my cake and eat it too. I suppose that I may end up with the Mtb shoe.

It just makes me sad that the ones that resemble somewhat normal shoes are really on the low end of performance on the bike.

I was just hoping someone might know of some secret shoe out there. Sounds like I should start a company that specializes in touring shoes...I could be rich!!!

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I wear low end MTB shoes on my commute. The fancier the MTB shoe, the stiffer it is. I have to carry my bike up two flights of stairs and up a steep ramp. I use Crank Bros Candy pedals and the cleats are recessed enough that they don't make noise when I walk. In Hawaii, I wore SPD sandals with my candy pedals. They were better all around since they were very walkable. The PNW is a little cool in mornings for the sandals. IMHO, the best sandals are the Lake versions since they have a lip around the front to protect your toes and keep rocks from ending up under your feet. They run small, go up a size.

Woody the century king (50+ a year) prefers sandals since they keep his feet cool.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ditch the clip ins, ride plats. That way, you can wear whatever the hell you want. With the right sole, pedals, and pedalling technique, it's amazing how grippy the pedals can be. I rarely miss my SPD's any more.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Crank Bros Quattros. I have Quattros on all my road bikes and Acid 2 on my MTB so all my my shoes and pedals interchange. Of course all my shoes are MTB shoes. I have four pair from carbon soles to sandles. The stiff ones are better for the long fast rides. The low end ones walk better. I try to fit the shoe to the needs of the ride.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
kayakguy said:
Well I am looking for walkable as in around the market without scuffing the floors or looking too bizzare.

Right now I use looks on the road. Yes they can be walked in but not much at all, not even around the block reasonably. Plus they squeek while riding. It is driving me mad. After much frustration and grease I eventually realized it is the cleat and pedal interface that is making the noise. I have used soap to temporarily solve the problem, but still...

So now I am thinking a new cleat system is needed so I might as well have my cake and eat it too. I suppose that I may end up with the Mtb shoe.

It just makes me sad that the ones that resemble somewhat normal shoes are really on the low end of performance on the bike.

I was just hoping someone might know of some secret shoe out there. Sounds like I should start a company that specializes in touring shoes...I could be rich!!!
lake makes/made the mx155 for "Long distance alpine touring, cross-country & extreme conditions riding."

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2005/11/04/lake-mx155-shoes/

I've had a pair for 3 years that I mostly wear in the winter. they're plenty stiff but they have fairly aggressive tread and are on the portly side weightwise.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
I use the eggbeaters on my bike and sidi mountain bike shoes (dominator 5's) done centuries and commuting on them. The only thing I warn against is the sidis as the plastic lugs can be deadly in Safeway with a cleanup on aisle 11.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been walking around all day in a new pair of Shimano MT31 shoes, testing for fit and comfort. The sole is pretty stiff up to the cleat. From the cleat to the toe there is some flex which makes them pretty comfortable for walking. The sole appears stiff enough unless you're really hammering, then some flex might be noticeable.

I bought them to use on my cross bike for running errands around town, and to use with my old steel Giant for the more casual 40+ mile weekend rides that i do with my girlfriend. Not actually touring, but "like" touring behavior where every 15-20 miles we might stop to see things.

Roger

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use platforms and sandals, honestly, even for European tours of thousands of kilometers. Socks are too hot in the Caribbean, and they get wet in Europe when I'm commuting/touring there. I use speedplays when I'm racing road, but the shoeplates are ridiculous off-bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.