Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having constant problems with numbness in left foot. I currently am wearing cannondale mtb shoes and they are definately tight in the toe box. I have learned from skiing that I have very skinny ankles but a fairly wide foot.

So, what brands should I be focusing on? I run spd pedals on my road bike but I am looking for a fairly stiff sole.

One last thing. I have done all the other things, changed seat height, cleat positions, etc. I can't try different footbeds right now because I just don't have the room in the current shoe.

Thanks

P

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Cycling shoes that are tight in the toe box will drive you nuts.

It's going to be a tall order to find a wide shoe that doesn't want to swallow up your skinny ankle and cause your heel to move when pulling up on the pedals.

I would highly suggest going to shop and trying shoes on before you buy them, mail order can be frustrating.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
I have the same issue.

Sidi's work well for me - Specialized would also work.

You have to try on the shoes first as Heath mentioned.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shimano 230

Just got the Shimano 230L and had them molded to my foot.

If you can spend the $$ get these and never look back. I love mine!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Same thing with me, back with my first pair of shoes - Nikes that were really, really narrow. I've gone through a few brands since then, but Northwave Aerlites have been awesome - wide toe box, and good closure.

The Shimano's are neat (are those the ones you put in the oven?), but having a custom footbed doesn't alter the width of the shoe.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The newer Shimano R350 I think is supposed to have a wider toe box.

The R300 had a narrower toe box than the older say R215 with out the custom fit.

Personally if you need some wiggle room I wouldn't go with having them oven baked and formed to your foot.

For me the oven baked method is worthless unless you have some slop in the shoe fit, in which case you should keep looking for a shoe that actually fits. The idea of putting your heated up shoe in a bag and having the air taken out is a gimmick. I had it done to my first pair of R300 and then I went down a size and skipped the custom fit, you don't need it if the shoe actually fits to begin with.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I have 2 pair of shoes right now that I love. First is the new Shimano R-350. Heat molded to my foot at my LBS. These are absolutely the best shoes I have ever worn! First ride in them was 40+ miles and no hot spots or numbness and they have continued that way since I got them about 6 weeks ago. The other pair I have are North Wave mid range shoes. I don't remember the model number off the top of my head but they were recommended by a friend because I have short wide feet. They fit as good or better than my Sidi Mega's that they replaced. These are my "commuting shoes" and are holding up really well after a couple of months in this role.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Concur with Shimano

I have wide feet D/E. First pair of biking shoes that actually fit were Carnac Lemond/Legends. I then went with Northwave Evolutions which are great shoes but no longer made. The current Northwave Aerators are also wide in the ball area and toe box. I have a pair of Shimano 215E's. Probably the best fit and quality of any shoe I've owned in the last 35 years. Worth checking out.

rward325 said:
I have 2 pair of shoes right now that I love. First is the new Shimano R-350. Heat molded to my foot at my LBS. These are absolutely the best shoes I have ever worn! First ride in them was 40+ miles and no hot spots or numbness and they have continued that way since I got them about 6 weeks ago. The other pair I have are North Wave mid range shoes. I don't remember the model number off the top of my head but they were recommended by a friend because I have short wide feet. They fit as good or better than my Sidi Mega's that they replaced. These are my "commuting shoes" and are holding up really well after a couple of months in this role.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
I have a narrow heel and a 3E width foot. I use the sidi megas and couldn't be happier. While the heel isn't as tight as I would prefer it never rubs me and retains my heel well when off bike. When you have funky feet you will need to pay the $$$ to be happy but it is money well spent as I get at least 3-4 years out of my sidis and I use the same pair on my mtb and road bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had numerous shoe/foot issues until I switched to carbon soled Specialized. I have a wide forefoot and somewhat narrow heal with a high arch. The optional insoles for my Specialized helped with the custom fit. I never realized how much a carbon sole would help distribute force to relieve pressure points on my fore foot. I was satisfied enough to buy a second pair.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Shimano E and older Northwaves

will fit like this. I have the same issues. Best bet and cost is the Shimano R200 in E width. Then they can customize the heal to fit more snug.

Sidi Mega are wide all the way through. Specialized are normal with a slighty wider toe box. The new Bontragers might fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts