Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on the road for about a year and a half now and I've been thinking switching over from mountain pedals to road pedals. This will also mean a switch in shoes.

I've currently use Sidi Dominator 4 (warmer) in the winter and some Nike ACG shoes in the summer (better vented). Both are mtn shoes. I use eggbeaters for pedals.

Here are my questions:

1. Will I see an gain from switching to road shoes in comfort or performance?
2. What is a good shoe for under $150.00?

I wear a size 13. Not sure if one company makes a better shoe for people w/ big feet.

· Registered
5,238 Posts
mjlarocco said:
Here are my questions:

I wear a size 13. Not sure if one company makes a better shoe for people w/ big feet.
... in general, a quality road shoe has a stiffer and arguably more efficient sole than an MTB... so biomechanical efficiency should be greater...

... while the costs of Sidis have skyrocketed over the past 4 years, you might wanna consider saving a few more scheckles and going with what you know (especially from a size POV) and hit the Genius (perhaps you can find older 3s or 4s on sale?)...

And, while U didn't mention it, you'll prolly want to consider a road specific pedal.

· Registered
232 Posts
Having used both...my thoughts

mjlarocco said:
I've been riding on the road for about a year and a half now and I've been thinking switching over from mountain pedals to road pedals. This will also mean a switch in shoes.

I've currently use Sidi Dominator 4 (warmer) in the winter and some Nike ACG shoes in the summer (better vented). Both are mtn shoes. I use eggbeaters for pedals.

Here are my questions:

I've used both dedicated road shoes and pedals and also MTB shoes and pedals on my road bikes over the years. I currently use MTB shoes and pedals because I like the "convenience" of being able to walk in them. But I do recognize the performance benefits of a pure road setup.
Question #1
If using a larger "Look" style cleat, I've found that there tends to be less isolated pressure on the underside of my foot. That said, using a "SPD" style cleat (like MTB pedals use) with a larger platformed pedal such as the Shimano SPD-A520 will alleviate some of this issue. As far as performance gains, I've found both Road and MTB shoes can be very stiff...but the road shoe is almost always lighter which I suppose would increase performance a bit.

Question #2
I like Lake shoes a lot and also know that they make up to size 50 (us 15). Lake also tends to run big...so you should have no problem finding one to fit your size 13 foot. For a road shoe, the CX190 is a good choice. The mountain version is a great shoe (MX190) is you go that route.

:thumbsup:

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I don't have any experience with eggbeaters, but a friend of mine uses them on all his road bikes as well as his mountain bike. He wears Sidi Genius 5s on the road. Give them a try on your road bike and if you don't like them, you can always go to a road specific pedal. I'm a Look fan when it comes to road pedals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.