Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings

my 1 year old Shimano R151 carbon shoes fit me "a bit odd".

They are a tiny bit too big, half-size, I have about ~5 mm of free room in toes, when my heel is pushed all the way back. The next size smaller is too small, my toes firmly touch the front of the shoe. So I bought the larger size.

This means my foot is a bit loose "under load". Any suggestions? I tried extra insole but then the shoe was too tight and too hot. Should I pad the heal or inside of the sock with some paper? or pad the toe section? How? Any tips?

thanks

PS I prefer not to buy another pair of shoes just yet! 8^)

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
In what way are they loose? Your heel slips, or too much space in the toe box, or what? There are ways to tie shoelaces that address these issues, but I doubt there is much you can do with velcro straps other than make them tighter.

I'm not a fan of putting something in a shoe to try and make it fit better. It usually causes as many problems as it solves, as you experienced with the insole.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
foot slips and a bit loose

nate said:
In what way are they loose? Your heel slips, or too much space in the toe box, or what? There are ways to tie shoelaces that address these issues, but I doubt there is much you can do with velcro straps other than make them tighter.

I'm not a fan of putting something in a shoe to try and make it fit better. It usually causes as many problems as it solves, as you experienced with the insole.
thanks. yes, my foot feels like it moves about inside the shoe a bit which saps the pedalling power etc. If I do up the velcro straps a bit more then I get discomfort from over-tightening.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Rather than use paper, go to the drug store and buy a pad especially made for your intended use.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
acid_rider said:
thanks. yes, my foot feels like it moves about inside the shoe a bit which saps the pedalling power etc. If I do up the velcro straps a bit more then I get discomfort from over-tightening.
I know you don't want to hear it, but the shoes just may not fit your feet. There may be too much volume in the toebox even though the length is fine. The width may be wrong. It also may be that you need a more substantial upper that has less nylon and more leather/leather-substitute.

My PI Vagabonds have too much nylon mesh in the upper so the upper is very stretchy. The stretch means I have similar issues with my foot moving in the shoe (mostly up and down in the toebox), particularly when riding my fixed gear. When I get new shoes I am going to spend more and get something like the high-end Sidis that don't use so much nylon mesh.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all

I do not know if I got a regular or wide, the box says R151D size 45.

The foot seems to slide forward and back a little bit under load. I might go to the dru-store and see if they have a pad for the heel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts