Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5's. They are not the Mega. I've had them for a few months, they are nice shoes but they make my feet hurt. They are a tad too narrow.

Today, I visited a couple of shops here in town and tried several pairs.

Shimano - they were nice and felt good enough - I just don't have the heart to wear these with my fully Campagnolo built Seven.
Pearl - did not like the way the fit.
Northwave - these were a bit of a surprise. Never heard of them, however George Hincapie uses them, they were comfy too.
Louis Garneau - these felt pretty good.

I don't remember the specific models of the shoes I tried - my bad. I am seriously jonesing for a pair of yellow Mavics. Anyone here waring those?

I was told the Sidi Mega's are waaay too wide. I realize feet are like -well, you know - and it is hard to give accurate info...

C'mon guys, anyone with some words of wisdom?

·
Master debator.
8,821 Posts
Regardless of brand, buy what fits. It's not people will snicker and point as you ride by wearing Shimano shoes...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Mavic's but you should certainly try them before you make a decision. And then if they don't measure up for you, do as nOOky mentioned and simply buy what fits regardless of brand. You seem to like the Shimano, LG, and Northwave. If they all end up feeling pretty equal fit-wise, then just choose the one that looks best to you.

·
9,790 Posts
PatheticHack said:
I don't have any experience with the Mavic's but you should certainly try them before you make a decision. And then if they don't measure up for you, do as nOOky mentioned and simply buy what fits regardless of brand. You seem to like the Shimano, LG, and Northwave. If they all end up feeling pretty equal fit-wise, then just choose the one that looks best to you.
Mavic runs very narrow.

I can't believe the OP has never heard of Northwave....

Try Diadora. They're a little wider, but not too wide. Might try TIME too, if you can find them.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Had LG's, now using Northwaves. Maybe it's because they were the low end Mont Royals, but the LG's were oddly-proportioned with the heel section being as wide as the forefoot area.Going down a size it'd be too short, but I was being cheap, and McDavid ankle supports filled space well.

The Northwaves (Vertigo Pro SBS) have been nothing short of great. Toe room is a bit excessive when putting them on, but isn't felt when pedaling. Also look fancy at their price. Only complaint is the lack of rubber sections on the front of the outer sole. While the cleats should prevent the need for that, there are times where that section just happens to come in contact with the ground (kneeling).

·
Registered
664 Posts
alaris said:
I was told the Sidi Mega's are waaay too wide.
Let me guess. They either don't carry Sidi or they don't have any Megas in stock. Based on what you've said, I'm sure you would be able to find the right size in a Mega. If you like the shoe, you owe it to yourself to find some to try. You might go down a full or half size in a Mega. That is, if you typically wear an 11 in regular width, you might find the best fit in Mega at 10 1/2 or 10.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Mega for me was quite a bit larger than standard Sidi. I would have loved them as they felt comfy, but I found the regular Sidi too narrow and the Mega too big to the point I was swimming in them.

I've always used Shimano and currently using R300 and R315. They could be a little wider, but they are kind of nice for racing as they don't have any slop.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had the same issue w the Sidi Ergo2 I think they are one of the best looking shoe out there but if you have Duck feet you can forget it.lol

The Sidi's are good for Blinging and no more than 20 miles.lol

Out of all my shoes the Bonts are my go to shoes. They are light , low stack, and I nickname them Cycling shoes on v iagra because they are super stiff ask any Bont Shoes Owners they will tell you the same thing no flex on that shoe 100 percent power transfer on every stroke..

I highly recommend the Bont Shoes A1. You can custom mold them to fit your feet by baking them in the oven as many times as you want at 160 degrees for 20 min. It took me at least 4 times to get them dialed in and let me tell you once they are set you will be a happy camper :)

http://www.bont.com/cycling/items/heatmolding.html

Lastly you can keep an eye on the Bont shoes on Bonktown for deals and they avg around $200 plus on Ebay.

Hope this helps

Midwest Playa
Good Time Gang Cycling Club member in Kansas

·
Registered
278 Posts
I ride Lake CX 326 shoes. I have wide feet and a really high arch. I tried all different types of straps, ratcheting straps, etc and the BOA system was by far the best out of any other type of securing device.

I absolutely love these shoes and will drive to and from the riding spot and walk around town every now and then after rides with these on with no discomfort at all.

https://www.lakecycling.com/default.aspx?tabid=558&itemno=CX236_11&clr=WH

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all. Great info here.

The local Sidi dealer is where I found the Northlakes. They did not have any Mega for me to try on. There are several other stores I'm going to check out.

Also great advice on the Mavic shoes: if they are narrow then I have no business getting those.

And, thanks for the info about the Shimanos! :)

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I had the same issues with SIDI. Went to Northwave, until they changed their sizing.

Now I use ShimaNo E width shoes and I am VERY happy. Yes I only ride Campy!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Nashbar has some butt ugly Lake shoes that come in wide sizes. They worked for me. Just depends on how stylish you wanna be.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Bought a pair of Louis Garneau at a show about a month ago and was surprised at the fit of them. I generally wear Northwave as they run wide. Specialized BG run wide and are comfortable as well. I like the Shimano but they are not a comfortable as the Northwave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the standard Sidi's and they were too narrow so I went for the mega's. Like someone posted before me, I was "swimming in them." One reason could have been I kept the same size shoe. Had I gone down a half or full size that may have helped.

After continued research I tried on some Specialized. The standard s-works and expert road shoes were too narrow and they do not have "megas", however their "Pro" does come in a wide. Once I tried the wides on (1/2 size smaller that previous shoes), I was in heaven. They fit great, look good and after 100+ miles, I'm very happy with them.

bottom-line, you need to try different ones on b/c one size does not fit all. Good luck

·
Registered
591 Posts
Midwest Playa said:
I had the same issue w the Sidi Ergo2 I think they are one of the best looking shoe out there but if you have Duck feet you can forget it.lol

The Sidi's are good for Blinging and no more than 20 miles.lol

Out of all my shoes the Bonts are my go to shoes. They are light , low stack, and I nickname them Cycling shoes on v iagra because they are super stiff ask any Bont Shoes Owners they will tell you the same thing no flex on that shoe 100 percent power transfer on every stroke..

I highly recommend the Bont Shoes A1. You can custom mold them to fit your feet by baking them in the oven as many times as you want at 160 degrees for 20 min. It took me at least 4 times to get them dialed in and let me tell you once they are set you will be a happy camper :)

http://www.bont.com/cycling/items/heatmolding.html

Lastly you can keep an eye on the Bont shoes on Bonktown for deals and they avg around $200 plus on Ebay.

Hope this helps

Midwest Playa
Good Time Gang Cycling Club member in Kansas

My Latest pair to my never ending collection
2011 Sworks Specialized Shoes

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
PlatyPius said:
Mavic runs very narrow.

I can't believe the OP has never heard of Northwave....

Try Diadora. They're a little wider, but not too wide. Might try TIME too, if you can find them.
I've found just the opposite to be true.:confused: Mavic shoes are much wider than Diadora in the toe box. My experience has been limited to the Zxellium and the ProRace Carbon fwiw.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did you try one size larger in Sidi? For Specialized, I was trying 43 and 43.5. When I was looking, my 2001 Carnacs were 43. In Sidi 43 was too tight. However, 44 was perfect. They are not too long but the width worked much better.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I picked up specialized shoes last year. Love them. Fit like a glove and are super comfortable. Next time I need shoes I'll have to try more on though.. Would like to test some Sidi's and other brands.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was "jonesing" for a pair of Sidi when I was looking for shoes. I was convinced the whole rigamarole would be the thing for me. And my buddy recommended the the S Works. Fortunately, an LBS carried both. What looked right to the eye was not right for the feet. I went for the Specialized and they wear like a slipper. If the shoe fits, you must commit. Yes, even if it's Shimano~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.