Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid post, but I have had such a deep supply of work T Shirts to cut up over the years and I'm finally running low... Normally I cut pieces of an old or useless T-shirt up to clean my chain or whatever, but I'm finally running low on work T-shirts. Do you clean your shop rags? If so, how?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
For really dirty stuff like cleaning chains, I use throwaways, like Scott Rags-in-a-box.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For really dirty stuff like cleaning chains, I use throwaways, like Scott Rags-in-a-box.
Thanks J!! I guess I've been slop rag spoiled... It's always a greasy job, I have to wipe down the chain every two weeks under normal riding conditions, about 200 miles. Then I wipe it down before the next ride to get any excess.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Do you clean your shop rags? If so, how?
Put them in the laundry tub with a LOT of detergent and let them soak for a day or two with occasional agitation. If they're really dirty, repeat the process. Then run them through the washing machine (again with a lot of detergent and hot water).

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put them in the laundry tub with a LOT of detergent and let them soak for a day or two with occasional agitation. If they're really dirty, repeat the process. Then run them through the washing machine (again with a lot of detergent and hot water).
Thank you!! That's exactly what I was hoping to learn!! Much appreciated sir!

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,139 Posts
My washing machine has a warning on the lid about washing items that have oil on them, even cooking oil, because of a fire danger.

I'd read your washing machine cautions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Per above, I use disposable cloths for the chain, but I clean the rest of the bike using microfiber cloths (Costco bulk buy).

I use one cloth for washing and another for drying. They inevitably pickup dirt from contact with the chain and rings etc., so once in a while, I spray them with degreaser, let them sit for a while and then toss them into the laundry. Job done.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I switched to Squirt lube.

My bikes no longer have any greasy residue on the drivetrain. I clean my cassettes and cranks in the kitchen sink because there's no grease. Chain is cleaned with normal soap and water too whenever I feel like it, usually just dry brush it though.

As for anything involving grease: I use small sections of paper towels and discard them.

As for cleaning the bike, that is done with a cloth and some windex.

What I'm getting at here is since switching to Squirt I no longer have any use for rags and therefore don't use them.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy the white cotton rags by the box, look in the painting section, they are cheap, clean great, don't have to worry about the wife kicking your arse for using her machine, use them to clean your glasses or windows and they're bio-degradable.

What more could you ask for??

Or maybe, just maybe, if you wash the rags and carefully limit water temperature, the amount of soap used, the machine cycle time and air dry the rags you might save enough cash to get a dollar item on Big Mickeys menu!!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I switched to Squirt lube.

My bikes no longer have any greasy residue on the drivetrain. I clean my cassettes and cranks in the kitchen sink because there's no grease. Chain is cleaned with normal soap and water too whenever I feel like it, usually just dry brush it though.

As for anything involving grease: I use small sections of paper towels and discard them.

As for cleaning the bike, that is done with a cloth and some windex.

What I'm getting at here is since switching to Squirt I no longer have any use for rags and therefore don't use them.
What is "Squirt?"

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Old t-shirts cut-up - Don't wash, throw away... it's a good way to keep me in a nice clean white t-shirt for work

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A wax based lube.
Oh, like White Lightening? I use it on my Mtn bike. It gets ridden ON the beach and no issues so I'm liking it for that application.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts