Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came with a Selle Flight Trans Am Ti. Its ok, I like the channel, but I'm looking for something more comfortable on long rides. I'm planning on doing a century this summer, (my first), and I'd like to get through it with as little pain in the caboose as possible. I still would like to keep it light too. I know I'll end up trying some at the bike shop, but suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like you I had a Flight Trans Am but the channel is a hoax. It relieves pressure on some points sure but then it creates more pressure else where. Anyways, I upgraded to the Fizik Aliante with the carbon rails, so not only is it light but comfy. Sure it's expensive but it's your boys we're talking about here right?

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
Saddles are highly personal

However, you do want to find one that allows you to perch your sit bones on the wide, raised section at the rear (the saddle butt). What works for someone else may not work at all for you. I had two riding buddies, one with a Brooks and one with a standard plastic racing saddle. They got to talking about how they both did not like their saddles, so they switched. Both went away happy as clams. There was nothing wrong with either saddle, just that they didn't fit those guys. Saddle choice is way to personal to take someone else's advice about how much they like theirs. I like my Flite Ti, but that doesn't mean you'd like it. Likewise it's predecessor Cinelli. People who have Brooks saddles often got there by not liking other saddles. The fact that they like their Brooks doesn't tell you anything about what you might like. Also, there's adaptation to any equipment, so something that feels funny on the first ride may be fine after some miles are accumulated. Short answer is that most saddles fit most people, otherwise they wouldn't sell very many of that brand/model.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Hit and miss...

I don't have a real problem with saddles in general, I use a couple of them and keep them stored in our garage. When I start to feel absolutely bored, I'll change saddles for a couple of days, but end up going back to what I had on before. The Selle Italia Flite or Flite Gel is the best selling saddle. I used a San Marco Era in the past and liked it, but now it feels too narrow. One of my favorites is a San Marco Regal with ti rails, sort of an old retro saddle. Another favorite was a San Marco Rolls. I used a Brooks Team Pro for a season off and on and it was o.k., nothing special for me. The problem was the rails were short and hard to get it back far enough. One saddle I have been eyeing is a Fizik Pave CP. Saddles are kind of hit and miss, they either work or don't, it depends on your anatomy. Check and see if any of your riding buds will let you try out their saddle for a day or so. Also check with the bike shops in your area and see if they will let you test some saddles out. If you find something you like, check the listings on ebay and see if they have any in "almost new conditon". I picked up a San Marco Regal for $37.00, that lists for $65-$75 new, and it will last me for years to come. Another saddle I liked was a Selle Italia Max Flite, a tad wider than the regularFlite saddles. There is no knowing what will work for you, but if you find something you like, buy another one, as soon they won't be making that model anymore...I hardly ever hear of anyone that didn't like a Flite saddle, but I guess there is someone out there that hated it....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I can't stand anything that has a remotely hard shell in the center, including the Flite or even the Flite TransAm. The SLR TransAm XP I currently use however feels great to me. Five hour rides are absolutely no problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
another vote for the aliante i never new that saddles didn't have to hurt. btw - i got the ti rails at 190#. i put a turbomatic quattro on my second bike and it is pretty comfy and enexpensive, but not light (it looks like you can have two outta three) ;) . i do think the arione is pretty light, less expensive than the aliante and a lot of people seem to like it.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
Saddle choice is way to personal to take someone else's advice about how much they like theirs
Kerry's right about that. As far as getting recommendations for any particular saddles, it's pretty much guesswork. Finding the right saddle can get expensive and/or frustrating.

But as a general rule-of-thumb, I'd say that if you're going to do shorter rides (say around 90 min. or less), you can go with something that has more or softer padding. But for longer rides, a stiffer saddle works better.

I use my S.I. Mythos TA as a 'starter' saddle after not riding during the winter, but I'm soon going to retire it again until next spring and get a Brooks for long rides, unless I can find a regular Mythos. (Sadly, the Mythos series has been out of production for quite awhile. My last one got mangled in a crash. :mad: )

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Sdg..

Don't take anyone's advice with regard to comfort. Just because someone else likes a saddle does not mean it will be comfortable for you.

I've tried a bunch of models, at great expense, and found several that were tolerable, but none that fit me as well as the SDG Comp Ti, now called the Belair. The ones I've used had all-kevlar covers, which are no longer offered as a standard (darn). I'm going to give the Belair a try and see how it compares to the old Comp Ti (using my last one now). These saddles offer 1-2cm more setback than most road saddles, if that's a plus.

http://www.sdgusa.com/index2.html

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Slr

Old_Bashturd said:
My bike came with a Selle Flight Trans Am Ti. Its ok, I like the channel, but I'm looking for something more comfortable on long rides. I'm planning on doing a century this summer, (my first), and I'd like to get through it with as little pain in the caboose as possible. I still would like to keep it light too. I know I'll end up trying some at the bike shop, but suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated
The Selle Italia SLR (very light) saddle is very comfortable, despite its appearance. What makes it comfortable to me is the flexing of the Ti rails and carbon shell, with just enough padding. I've ridden it comfortably on countless double centuries and the Furnace Creek 508 solo and team. Sometimes on rides over 200 miles I'll thrown on a QR cover (from Performance) and then it's downright plush! I did that for the "normal" bike in the 508, but with no cover for the climbing bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Performance Vote

I have had a good experience so far with my Performance Forte Classic - although I am not sure you would consider it light. It is however relatively cheap.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
For centuries don't look at the weight

especially if this is your first century.

Ask people who do long rides what they use. I think the most popular seats on LONG rides are the Brooks. Didn't try yet so I cannot comment.

I've used a Flite gel for up to a double century, but that's not enough, so now I use a well-padded Bianchi that costs $10 on Bianchi website. I won't use any more light seat for 100+ miles rides. Cyclopathic said he did PBP (750 miles non stop) on a Bontrager FS2000, when I find one for cheap I'll get it and try. I'm also interested in the Koobi PRS, but this one's more expensive.

If this is only for short rides (less than 5-6 hours) I agree that the most popular are probably the Flite max and Flite gel.

Pierre

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
my personal choice

I used to ride the selle flite, good, seemed a bit long, but comfy non the less.
Recently well last cross season I bought a San Marco Apide and "fell in love", I am a light weight rider 140lbs with a small tush. I really like it! I can dis/re-mount/race cross or take a 3 hr ride and feel great! Apide has my vote. I now have two saddles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts