Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got the lust for a Colnago frame to build up this winter. I've started to look around the web for a Master Light, Master Carbon or a Dream B Stay. I want to get one with the Deco paint job so it will have to be a few years old. I figure that I need size 56. My other two bikes are a Kestrel Talon size 55 and a Trek 5200 size 56. I'm patient and I'll look for a deal but is there anything I need to know about these bikes? How do the three frames compare for ride quality?

Thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sweeney said:
I've got the lust for a Colnago frame to build up this winter. I've started to look around the web for a Master Light, Master Carbon or a Dream B Stay. I want to get one with the Deco paint job so it will have to be a few years old. I figure that I need size 56. My other two bikes are a Kestrel Talon size 55 and a Trek 5200 size 56. I'm patient and I'll look for a deal but is there anything I need to know about these bikes? How do the three frames compare for ride quality?

Thank you.
I have a Master Light in Zabel, size is 56. let me know if you are interested

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Very nice. I love red. What are you going to build it up with?

Did you get it in sloping or traditional geometry, and where did you get it from? I used to follow Colnagos on e-bay every day, but have stopped doing that since I have enough right now and cannot justify any other and to save my marriage because for some reason I can always justify a new bike or gun (i.e., heart takes preference over head).

·
Hors Categorie
613 Posts
Congratulations. Are you a member of Sound Cyclists? Do you live anywhere close to Milford, as per your T-shirt?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got started today:

I had the Zipps just hanging in the closet. I'm using all Ultegra. I know most people thing it should be Campy but I'm used to Ultegra and the new crank really is beautiful so i'm sticking with it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hey Sweeney, how does she ride? Good ooking bike!! We are all waiting for a ride report! :)

I know this is an old thread, but what the heyall!!!

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Ride-Fly I see you are looking at that NOS C-40 on the same paintscheme :p

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
Ride-Fly I see you are looking at that NOS C-40 on the same paintscheme :p
Ciao Salsa! Co-me sta-ee?

Hmmm, what gives you the impression that I am looking for a C40??? :)

I would probably have pulled the trigger on the NOS eBay frame if it was a 55!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry guys, I've been so busy riding the bike that I never got back to this thread. What can I say, it rides like a Dream!

Seriously, it's a little stiffer than my Trek 5200 and that's with the stiff Zipp wheels. With a Terry Fly seat and 110 psi in the tires, 100 miles is no problem for this 61 year old body. The handling is a whole now world of amazing, I guess that's why they say that every cyclist should own a Colnago sometime in their life.

Pic from when I first finished it:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Sweeney, you have been away for a veeeerrrrrrry long tide, huh??? :)

The 'nag looks great. You have become enlightened, I see. That is the thing about Colnagos. They aren't everyone's cup of tea in many respects and the handling doesn't bowl most people over right away. When I first got my Colnago Mix, the handling didn't stand out one way or another. But only after having it awhile, did I notice the subtle handling differences between the Colnago and my other bikes. I became a convert. I think there is no other bike that handles like a Colnago. I have bikes that feel stiffer, climb a little better, maintains speed a little better, etc. But none of them give me the confidence I have when descending on the nags. I thought it was just me and my own fascination with the brand but there have been a lot of others I know or met that stated the exact same thing. One of my good riding buddies has had just about every top-end frame made, from Parlee Z1, Pinarello (Prince, Dogma, Paris) carbons, Time (VXRS, VXS), Look (585 Ultra, 595, 586), Cervelos, Bianchis, Trek Madones, (too many more than I can recall) and he stated recently that his favorite of them all was the Ext Power. He said it had the best combo of traits, plus the handling was the best period. Another is an owner of a very high-end shop in Ventura, CA and he personally rides the C59. He said the Colnagos were the best handling bikes he had ever ridden too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Very nice Colnago you have there.

I don't worry about using Shimano on a Colnago, as I raced Supers back in the day with DA 7400 and it was a great combo.

Although all of my current Colnagos have Campy, I still chuckle over this topic.

As far as the ride goes, they are wonderful and unique in their combination of qualities.

My 1999 Master Extra Light was a top notch handler in many categories and is a bicycle I wish I still had.

The blow was softened when I found my current Colnagos:

a 1978 Super
a 1993 Elegant (EL-OS!) in the "Wordperfect" scheme
and a 2007 Extreme Power

I hope you enjoy your attractive Colnago and thanks for finishing out the thread for us!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, after about 16 months of riding the bike I can say that the new bike romance hasn't worn off at all. I have a smile on my face as soon as I take it out. I realize that the aluminum bikes are the least desirable Colnagos right now but I didn't want another CF bike so I looked at steel, but this frame kept getting such great reviews and since it's much lighter than the steel, that I had to go for it. I got the size just right and all I can say is

''It rides like a Dream''

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Yes indeed the Dream rides like a Dream

I like mine a lot, it is indeed stiffer than my C50, but it is a great bike overall, and with such a beautiful paintjob.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts