Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be upgrading to a Record 10 rear derailleur. I run a 13-26, currently have a Chorus medium cage. Both cages will accept a 26 rear cog, any performance advantage in going with short cage? Thanks

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
crankset question

What chainrings are you running? To determine whether a short cage will work, you need to consider not just largest cog size, but chainwrap requirements. A 39-53 or 36-50 would put you right at the 27-tooth limit Campy specifies, a compact 34-50 would nominally be too much.

If you can use a short cage, some people say shifting is a little better and more consistent because of the shorter lever arm, some say it makes little or no difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
With a longer cage, therefore longer chain length, the chain tends to sway side to side more during gear shifting. I tell people this and they don't believe me as they say the chain is always in tension. I'll say get a short cage for 13-26, according to campy short cages support up to a 26t cog. If you plan on going to 13-29 someday, then stay with the med cage.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
wrap capacity...

The wrap capacity of a Campy short cage is at least 29T. The 27T number was never accurate. When compact cranks came out, the same short cage RD could suddenly handle a 50/34 with a 13-26.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

You'll never notice any difference in the shifting with a medium cage - it's not much longer that the short (55/72mm). The shifting process occurs between the upper pulley and cogs. The upper one even has some side float purposely built in. All the lower pulley does is take up slack. It has no effect on how quickly power can be transmitted.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Works fine

tmac13 said:
Will be upgrading to a Record 10 rear derailleur. I run a 13-26, currently have a Chorus medium cage. Both cages will accept a 26 rear cog, any performance advantage in going with short cage? Thanks
Both of our family bikes run 53/39 with 13-26 Campy and short cage derailleurs. Works just fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm getting an IRD 11-32 cassestte Campy compatible to run with a 50/34 compact crank for big gearing range. Anyone try this with a Medium cage derailer?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
YB1 said:
I'm getting an IRD 11-32 cassestte Campy compatible to run with a 50/34 compact crank for big gearing range. Anyone try this with a Medium cage derailer?

better check the max cog spec on those road ders

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
max. cog....

FatTireFred said:
better check the max cog spec on those road ders

Campy lists the max. cog size as 29T, the largest they make, but that doesn't mean it can't go larger. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

The wrap capacity is 1T over the listed 36T. Set the length in the little ring and 12T cog, to the longest possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts