Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a build using new 10-speed Ultegra with a Shimano compact crank and a 12-27 cassette. I know Shimano says to use a short-cage rear der for double cranks, but wondering if the medium-cage would be better given the wide gear range.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I run the exact set up, and although a short cage works, mine shifted much better when I swapped out my short cage for a long cage [ultegra]. I'm sure the medium cage would be an even better choice, I just happend to have a long cage available at the time. When I used the short cage, I always had problems shifting between the smallest 2 or 3 cogs. I always had to give a little extra nudge to the shifter after shifting one click to get the chain to move to the next cog

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
velojon said:
I'm doing a build using new 10-speed Ultegra with a Shimano compact crank and a 12-27 cassette. I know Shimano says to use a short-cage rear der for double cranks, but wondering if the medium-cage would be better given the wide gear range.
When did Shimano start making 'medium cage' derailleurs? - TF

·
Registered
284 Posts
Medium??

Never heard of a Shimano medium cage. The short will go to 28 in a pinch, but you have to avoid the small-small and big-big. The long will do it all but requires a longer chain as well. I have an 11-28 from Sheldon Brown and use the long cage because it shifts with more authority, feels firmer to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.