Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for shorter bar to lever distance, I've mounted Shimy-9 levers on several bars that are suppose to be better (Terry, Poco, Short & Shallow, etc.) along with standard bars and they all turned out to be 83-85mm.

Couple people said that the 3T Eva actually was better so I got one to try. It really does measure 77mm!! I'm not sure about the little dents yet, but am going to give it a try on my next build.

http://www.3ttt.com/ing/fr_curve.htm

TF

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't the "bar to lever" distance be a function of the levers, not the bars? :confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
In my search for shorter bar to lever distance, I've mounted Shimy-9 levers on several bars that are suppose to be better (Terry, Poco, Short & Shallow, etc.) along with standard bars and they all turned out to be 83-85mm.

Couple people said that the 3T Eva actually was better so I got one to try. It really does measure 77mm!! I'm not sure about the little dents yet, but am going to give it a try on my next build.

http://www.3ttt.com/ing/fr_curve.htm

TF

Great News, I am riding with Deda short and shallow now, where did you obtain the bars from? I Googled but I have not done business any of the sites listed.

Thanks - TH

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Versatile said:
I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't the "bar to lever" distance be a function of the levers, not the bars? :confused:
How the bars are curved will affect the distance. - TF

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truth Hurts said:
Great News, I am riding with Deda short and shallow now, where did you obtain the bars from? I Googled but I have not done business any of the sites listed.

Thanks - TH
AEBike and Airbomb have them ($70 - 75). I've dealt with Airbomb with no problems - just be sure they have it in stock. Also dealt with EABike without problems, but there was a recent thread asking whether they had closed or not. Didn't see an answer.

TF

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Do you have the $10 stick-on lever spacers from Specialized? They move the levers in about 20mm. Same as the R600 "short" levers do, only the cost is $210 less.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ericm979 said:
Do you have the $10 stick-on lever spacers from Specialized? They move the levers in about 20mm. Same as the R600 "short" levers do, only the cost is $210 less.
No, but I have spaced my own with various objects. Reshaping the bars is a much better solution and should have been done years ago. The best solution would be for Shim/Camp to make a shorter throw lever and not just the same thing with a shim stuck in it.

BTW, the Specialized shim fits poorly and looks like crap in an Ultegra-10 shifter.

TF

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Possible downside...

The position of the brake hoods would not be comfortable at all for me. I can tolerate the brake hood being level, but I prefer a few degrees upward angle and certainly not a 10 degree downward angle.

Who knows how these bars would work with the ergo lever positioned with a +5 degree angle.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C-40 said:
The position of the brake hoods would not be comfortable at all for me. I can tolerate the brake hood being level, but I prefer a few degrees upward angle and certainly not a 10 degree downward angle.

Who knows how these bars would work with the ergo lever positioned with a +5 degree angle.
You use a Shrt & Shallow or Poco tilted up, don't you? I measured a Poco at 25 deg downward angle - the S&S must be about the same. You would need less tilt with the EVA. - TF

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
more to it..

TurboTurtle said:
You use a Shrt & Shallow or Poco tilted up, don't you? I measured a Poco at 25 deg downward angle - the S&S must be about the same. You would need less tilt with the EVA. - TF
You can't always rotate a bar to bring the levers up. Unless the drop section is swept back at a fairly extreme angle, rotating the bars can make the drop section too vertical to be useful. The area immediately below the ergo lever would be tilted forward 2 degrees, just by rotating the bars 10 degrees. There's really no way to know how they'd work without trying them.

FWIW, my ergo levers are already that close to the bar with the modification I make. Any closer and the inner shift lever would touch the bars on hard braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts