Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new frame and was planning on building it up with a compact 10sp double, but i was wondering if i should go with a short or a long cage rear derailler? Whats the diffrence in preformance?
thanks

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
sphinks36 said:
I just got a new frame and was planning on building it up with a compact 10sp double, but i was wondering if i should go with a short or a long cage rear derailler? Whats the diffrence in preformance?
thanks
Get a short cage.

A long cage is designed to take up the extra slack from a triple crank. With a compact crank, a short cage will suffice.

Good luck and make sure to post pics when you're done.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Missing Info

Get a short cage. Get a long cage. Wait, you really have not shared enough information.

What gearing do you use now? What current chainrings? What current cassette? Do you want to duplicate what you currently have or do you need better gearing to accomplish _____? What is your riding style and terrain (hometown and travel destinations).

In addition to being designed to take up the slack of a triple a long cage can also be used to allow for a wider range of gearing with cogs that have more teeth on the back.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Not much, if any, difference in performance. The only different part is the cage. The rest of the derailleur is the same. Cassette range really dictates short or long cage. Anything up to a 12/25 should be fine with a short cage. If you go 12/27 or larger you would want/need a long cage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.