Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a slightly shorter handlebar for my bike, and perhaps one without too drastic of a slope down to the hoods. Currently the bike has a Bontrager Select VR 85mm reach bar. I'm looking at the Easton EA70 which is apparently 75mm reach, though it's hard to tell how drastic or not the slope to the hoods would be:

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/BARS/08/bar_road_ea70_wing_'08.html

Can anyone recommend a bar with a short'ish reach that doesn't slope down too much? I'm also trying to sort of how much of a difference the mounting position of the hoods could effect reach. Any comments?

thanks
jonathan

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Easton keeps changing their bends, so anyone commenting would have to own the very latest version. I bought the EA70 several years ago and it had a lot of rampdown, making them unuseable for me.

I now have the Easton EC90 SLX3 and they're great. They're not cheap, but I did find them for $175 at beyond bikes.

As for the reach difference, it should be about 10mm, but the exact position that you choose for the levers will affect that. There's no way to predict the result of your choice.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
I've had good luck with the Ritchey Biomax, but perhaps a little tilt was necessary to minimize slope to the hoods. Same with the Salsa Bell Lap, except I'm not happy with the dual cable grooves since I don't need that feature (lesson learned). Both these bars have a flair in the drops. The Biomax not as much flare as the Bell Lap...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out the Bontrager FIT bar. The drop on that looks a little too shallow for my hands. I do want a shorter reach, but 120 drop is pretty tight.

The Ritchey Biomax bar looks nice though, pretty similar to the Easton. At this point, it looks like I'll choose between those two.

Thanks for the feedback all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andrea138 said:
It's supposedly a more "natural" position for your wrists if you're riding on the tops. I don't really notice a difference- I mainly got them for the flare at the ends.
thanks for the info. i ended up ordering the Easton EA70. i think i'd also like the Biomax, but I happened to have some credit at Jenson and the Easton is all they carried :)

As far as the bars I'd "like" to have, the Easton EC90 SLX3 look really nice. The slope to the hoods is flat and the bend looks great. I just didn't want to spend ~175-200 on bars.

·
Registered
567 Posts
what is the purpose of the 6 degree swept back top on the Ritchey Biomax bars?
It's to bring the hoods in closer. With the advent of the integrated shifter the hoods grew out, making it a longer reach than older style brake only levers. A shorter reach and the reverse curve brings it back like it used to be.

t's supposedly a more "natural" position for your wrists if you're riding on the tops. I don't really notice a difference- I mainly got them for the flare at the ends
Another good reason.

Birddog

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ilmaestro said:
thanks for the info. i ended up ordering the Easton EA70. i think i'd also like the Biomax, but I happened to have some credit at Jenson and the Easton is all they carried :)
Scratch that. I just got the bars from Jenson and they sent me '07s which have a much longer/deeper reach/drop than the 08s. I'm pretty annoyed, particularly since I checked with them first and was assured they carried the 08s.

Anyways.... I decided to order the Biomax II from somewhere else. We'll see how those turn out :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.