Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· midnight melon mounter
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is half rant / half request. I'm pissed because Patagonia makes beautiful silkweight capilene shirts for $35. Yet cheapy, plastic, crappy, cycling jerseys cost $70.

Where can I find a cycling jersey that feels nice like capilene, and doesn't cost a pile of cash? Less than $50 would be nice.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
I've never seen a Patagonia cycling jersey. Pearl Izumi and Voler make nice mid-priced jerseys. Performance (local stores, not sure about mail order) has Castelli and Descente jerseys on sale for $50 this month. Those have very nice fabric, but they fit somewhat differently so try them on before you buy.

· Registered
121 Posts
I know that a lot of folks don't like to wear pro jersey's, but I find great deals on prior years pro jersey's. Got the grey USPS jersey for $20, 2005 T-Mobile for 39.99, Hushovd's CA Norwegian champ jersey for 39.99 (I've got Norwegian blood, my full blooded grandmother thinks it's pretty cool :) ) They are all good quality stuff and best of all, cheap.

Dave

· Registered
124 Posts
Lots of pockets in bike jersey's

Alex-in-Evanston said:
This is half rant / half request. I'm pissed because Patagonia makes beautiful silkweight capilene shirts for $35. Yet cheapy, plastic, crappy, cycling jerseys cost $70.

Where can I find a cycling jersey that feels nice like capilene, and doesn't cost a pile of cash? Less than $50 would be nice.
There is lots more work in a bike jersey than a capilene shirt. Start counting pieces of fabric and elastic, then add the price of sewing it up. If you don't want those back pockets, elastic bottom, longer back and long zipper there are lots of good values at Walmart for Underarmor and the like.

Ebay, off-season at Performance and other discount/mass merch. and shirts with very simple color patterns are all available for $50 or less. Of course, the first jersey you get mail order that you decide you don't like and don't wear will kill any cost savings.

If you decide this is a hobby and enjoy the hunt it might be fun?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
There is lots more work in a bike jersey than a capilene shirt. Start counting pieces of fabric and elastic, then add the price of sewing it up. If you don't want those back pockets, elastic bottom, longer back and long zipper there are lots of good values at Walmart for Underarmor and the like.

Ebay, off-season at Performance and other discount/mass merch. and shirts with very simple color patterns are all available for $50 or less. Of course, the first jersey you get mail order that you decide you don't like and don't wear will kill any cost savings.

If you decide this is a hobby and enjoy the hunt it might be fun?
I always buy the closeouts from Performance. Got a Michelin shirt--Voler I think--cost me $5 apiece and it's a great jersey. Just get em on the "save an extra 75% off clearance" sales.

· midnight melon mounter
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should point out that my last three club jerseys have been Garneau, Voler and Sugoi. All three were absolute garbage.

Pearl microsensor jersyes are a little better. Castelli jerseys are a little better still. MSRP on both of those if over $75.

I'm looking for a jersey with fabric quality on par with Patagonia's capilene stuff. A midweight capilene long sleeve pullover, with a half-zipper and full collar, has an MSRP of $40. I think it's the niche market, not the expense of the pockets, that's keeping prices so high.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
I should point out that my last three club jerseys have been Garneau, Voler and Sugoi. All three were absolute garbage.

Pearl microsensor jersyes are a little better. Castelli jerseys are a little better still. MSRP on both of those if over $75.

I'm looking for a jersey with fabric quality on par with Patagonia's capilene stuff. A midweight capilene long sleeve pullover, with a half-zipper and full collar, has an MSRP of $40. I think it's the niche market, not the expense of the pockets, that's keeping prices so high.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
man you is picky! Maybe you need one of those Craft undershirts instead of a better jersey?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Thin, plasticy, poorly formed, poorly sewn. Basically a level of quality below Capilene at twice the price.
To be honest I've never had a problem with Voler of Garneau. If you have to have the best get Castelli or Assos--you'll pay though.

· Registered
79 Posts
DriftlessDB said:
I know that a lot of folks don't like to wear pro jersey's
Dave
So....new to road biking here - less than 6 months. Can you fill me in on this thought of yours? Is this a no-no, beginner mistake? I happen to like the look, all the flashy colors, etc. I don't wear them to look like a pro! Lord knows I surely don't look like it on the bike!

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Pro jerseys are great. Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing one.

I want that Phonak jersey that Craft makes.
Problem with wearing that in Boulder is that you'd have actual Phonak (or ex-Phonak) riders with the real deal alongside you.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
I've got a lot of Garneau and Voler jerseys and they are all excellent jerseys. Garneau jerseys are the most comfortable in my opinion. Performance used to carry a lot of their jerseys, and I would buy them on sale for $25-50. Money well spent, as I wear my Garneau jerseys much more than most of my other ones. Aussie jerseys are also very good quality and comfortable. Voler jerseys are frequently on sale at their web site, and cheaper than most even when not on sale. Not quite as comfortable as Garneau or Aussie, but still very good quality.

· Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Check out the Airius Tees

Mrs. Steve-O works for Patagucci thus I get to "test" a lot of their gear for cycling. Check out the Airius Tee shirts. They have a version with a zippered front that fits very much like a cycling jersey. The one I am using is a sleeveless version and has a rear pocket. It uses the same silkweight material as capilene...

Another highly recommended piece is the the R.5 tops for cool weather cycling in the spring and fall. Very nice insulation with little bulk.

Steve (Shill for wife's work)

· Registered
121 Posts
The Armagh said:
So....new to road biking here - less than 6 months. Can you fill me in on this thought of yours? Is this a no-no, beginner mistake? I happen to like the look, all the flashy colors, etc. I don't wear them to look like a pro! Lord knows I surely don't look like it on the bike!
Some folks just don't like it. PRO KIT MUST BE EARNED is one refrain. I happen to like them and I like that I can get them cheap. And make no mistake, I would never be confused with a pro on the bike. I think wearing my MAGENTA:) T-Mobile Jersey makes me quite visible to traffic while on my bike. I always wear whatever jersey with black shorts, nickers or tights. I don't think I could do a full kit personally, but to each his own as long as you're riding.

Dave

· Registered
5,644 Posts
alex - look for some merino wool stuff on sale - really nice, kind of sounds what you are looking for.

Sierra Trading Post usually has some Ibex stuff on sale - not always the cheapest stuff, but it will last and i have come to be sold on their stuff - fwiw.

· Master of flip comments
1,737 Posts
pro jerseys

DriftlessDB said:
Some folks just don't like it. PRO KIT MUST BE EARNED is one refrain. I happen to like them and I like that I can get them cheap. And make no mistake, I would never be confused with a pro on the bike. I think wearing my MAGENTA:) T-Mobile Jersey makes me quite visible to traffic while on my bike. I always wear whatever jersey with black shorts, nickers or tights. I don't think I could do a full kit personally, but to each his own as long as you're riding.

Dave
long story, but I happened to hear from Stuart O'Grady and he told me that he thinks it's cool for us regular folks to wear "pro" team jerseys. But, he did say that in his opinion, wearing the world champ's jersey is a no-no unless you've earned it.

As for me I have several pro jerseys but I'm getting away from them because sometimes I feel like a clown. I REALLY like the RoadBikeReview Voler jersey, the "non-tribal" model. I'm thnking of buying another. As for dislikes, I really don't like tight elastic at the sleeve hem. A PI jersey I have has that and I'm thinking of e-baying it. A few of the pro jerseys also have the tight elastic. I guess I could cut them but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good jersey. A source for cheap jerseys is www.bikejerseys.com , they regularly have blowouts of last year's models, but the selection is sometimes wanting. They also used to be cheaper as well. I agree with the OP, I don't understand why jerseys cost so much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.