Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems the best place to put this - I hope...

Not sure why I started digging through this, having ridden 170mm cranks since getting back into riding, but I did.

"This" being the concept of shorter legged riders using shorter cranks. There's some odd websites around, some work seems to have been done on it, all rather disjointed stuff. Anyway, I followed a couple of the suggested calculations and, based on that math/suggestion, I should be riding 165mm cranks, not my 170mm

Which is odd, because my infrequently ridden Bianchi Pista has 165mm cranks and I can haul its rather excessive 48 x 18 up my 'control' hill (it's right outside my house!) as easily (that being a relative term... :) ) as on my geared bikes with 170mm cranks.

Being a firm believer in decent intelligence - have any forumites of shorter leg dimensions actually switched to shorter cranks? How did things go? BIG POINT - any discernable improvements?

Thank you in advance

Dereck
All experiences gratefully received - if I can come up with the justification, swapping the cranks off the Pista onto one of my road bikes is no sweat, as I have the tools and can figure out the best end to hold on them ;)

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
One chart suggests I could use 180's, or longer, instead I switched to 155's and loved it. Higher cadence and less ouch in my knees. I liked it so much, I changed to 140's, too short for me and the big climbs. I would have to really redo the gearing to make up for the loss of leverage, not so on the 155's, I noticed no issue with the same big climbs.

from VeloNews:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/5257.0.html

if you search that site other articles on the subject come up as well

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.