Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've pretty much been lurking; 1st time posting with probably a really stupid question.

I have riding a mountain bike for years and have switched over to road and am riding 20-30 miles a day right now.

My question is what do you wear, if anything, under your shorts? Do you wear some sort of liner or go commando? I have been wearing ****** tighties and am chaffing a bit, which makes the ride uncomfortable.

TIA.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
This joke's getting old.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
calle_betis said:
Thanks for the help.:rolleyes:
Two seconds with search, and you wouldn't have NEEDED any help.

Really. This is beaten to death.

Experienced riders (including the pros--just look) almost universally say "No undies."

Many newer riders say "No undies."

A few newer riders, baggy short wearers, contrarians and Howard Hughes-like germophobes say "Yes undies."

The only reasonable middle ground seems to be "special cycling undies."

Majority opinion is "No undies."

Now, we're done. Right? Somebody lock this thread and make it a sticky.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the amount of time you people peess and moan about a rookie post you could attach a link. I searched once. Thanks for getting your knickers in a bunch over. I am sure every post on the site has been discussed in depth many times. Thanks for enlightening :thumbsup:

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
calle_betis said:
the amount of time you people peess and moan about a rookie post you could attach a link. I searched once. Thanks for getting your knickers in a bunch over. I am sure every post on the site has been discussed in depth many times. Thanks for enlightening :thumbsup:
If you don't believe the information I gave you, ignore it or read some of the threads that turn up in a search and see if I'm wrong.

The fact that MOST people don't know how to use search, or post in the Beginner's forum, even though the site warns not to post everything in General, which is what causes the complaining, doesn't mean YOU have to be like that. Yet here you are.

Post in beginner's corner or say you couldn't find what you wanted in search, and you'll get a much nicer reception to beginner questions.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
calle_betis said:
I have been wearing ****** tighties and am chaffing a bit, which makes the ride uncomfortable.
Oh dear... Um, listen, I know that as a special interest group cyclists are perhaps in the worst position to criticize someone else's fashion faux pas; I mean, even our most put-together, well-kitted heroes wear shorts with giant padded crotches and shoes that make them walk like a duck, so we're really in no position to point to someone else and say "that looks ridiculous"

But still...****** tighties under your cycling shorts????

Man, if you think the ride is uncomfortable for you, imagine the poor folks who see you going by!

:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome!

calle_betis said:
I found the Beginners site after I posted. Sorry to put you in to cardiac arrest pal. Its a GD post. Breathe.

Thanks for the information- a second time.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Roadbikereview.com forums.

As you have already discovered there are many here who would rather just be chatty with their friends and cohorts than mingle with the commoners. They breathe the thin air and revel in their snobbery. Should they condescend to a level to actually read and respond to a post by other than a clique member they will most likely let you know that you are far beneath them and the pain you have inflicted upon them is almost unbearable. It is easy to see why, inspite of high gas prices and a multiple Tour of (sic) France winner, road cycling is not gaining participants as fast as some might expect. I actually saw a post last week, in the "Lounge", where someone was wroth because they had accidentally entered the beginners forum.

Do not despair. There are some here who will be kind, even gracious, to the newbie. The more you lurk the more you can find out. Post bravely but steel yourself against the potential wrath of those who see themselves as the elite.

Best of luck,

Jim

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Why answer a question when you can post a snide message that's twice as long and puts down the person for asking it?

Real answer: If you wear decent cycling shorts, there is not need for underwear and they will actually cause discomfort and possibly rashes, saddles sores, etc. Cycling shorts with chamois are designed to be worn without underwear. However, you should wash them after each wear. Best to own at least several pairs.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
chamois and faux chamois

are designed to work against your skin. layers r bad.

calle-betis is that short for callebaetis like the ole size 22 parachute adams?

if so ya ever fish a callebaetis hatch on Hebgen for the gulpers?

oh ps buy some Assos Chamois creme

·
Registered
26 Posts
For what it's worth, I found the answer for me to be the lycra shorts designed for cycling that you can find at Performance or Nashbar. They are very reasonably priced ($12 - $14), and are silky smooth in the "important" area with no seams or stitching. I didn't experience discomfort when riding without underwear, I just didn't like the feeling of complete "freedom". These lycra shorts, in my opinion, give you the best of both worlds, support without bunching up or chafing. Considering the low price for a pair, my advice would be to try one pair first, to see if you like them, that's what I did and I now own several pair. Hope that helps.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
atpjunkie said:
are designed to work against your skin. layers r bad.

calle-betis is that short for callebaetis like the ole size 22 parachute adams?

if so ya ever fish a callebaetis hatch on Hebgen for the gulpers?

oh ps buy some Assos Chamois creme
No, sorry. My handle is for a street in Seville, Spain I used to walk down everyday. Betis was the name given for the city by the Romans or Phoenicians. Betis is also the name for the soccer-Futbol team.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
how dare you...

... waste our precious bandwidth with repeat FAQs! The (road) cycling community is full and no longer taking applications. We'll call you when there is an opening.

And you wonder why roadies are sometimes seen as snobby and elitist. I wonder if it's the same in the world of golf... nevermind. Commando is the way to go. BUT (and this is might sound sort of gross and definitely germophobic but it's who I am), if I just got off the can, I might keep the undies on if it's only going to be a short ride (<20mi.). I know- it's all in my head, but it also lets me feel better if I want to 're-wear' the shorts the next day without washing them. And yes, have three or four pairs on hand because they usually take about a day and a half to hang-dry- esp. in the chamois area.

Not to bash religion, but not re-visiting past questions is why some people think the earth is only 5,000 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.