Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this will be my first time buying lycra shorts or bibs, I was wondering which one do any of you guys prefer? My personal question is, are lycra shorts made high enough so your back wouldnt show if you bend down and your jersey comes a bit up and over your butt? =) I see from youtube videos that none of the riders have their jerseys going a bit up and showing their back, so I guess lycra shorts are ok. Although there's always a possibility that they are wearing bibs? Is there anything for me to worry about?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Most if not all pro's wear bibs. In the long run it is personal preferance but to me bibs are more comfortable than shorts. They don't roll down into my gut and I don't show my plumber's butt to everyone behind me ( of course that would cut down on wheelsucking). I have even started to rotate my bibs as they get a little worn to, don't tell anyone, come a little closer, mountain biking.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Bibs.

the pro's are wearing bibs.

yes, worry about it. bibs are more comfortable for a lot of reasons.

this is one of those recurring questions where there is really no discussion: bibs are better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bibs are definitely better for comfort and they help hold in the mid section rolls.

The only thing I can complain about is you have to pretty much undress if you have to take a mid-ride poo

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Have tried both, prefer shorts. I don't have a gut to hold up or in and prefer the convenience of shorts. Also the straps on the bibs can be a pain at times if they have a tendency to slide down or rub you the wrong way. It's personal preference like anything else. You might get a set of bibs you love and you will be hooked, or you might get a different set that you can not stand and you will be a shorts guy. I prefer shorts but there are shorts that I can't wear too.

T

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you don't wear underwear under your lycra,I'm not asking if anyone has shopped at Performance before. Theres fitting rooms, and when I'm trying out a bib or so, do I have to keep my underwear on? Just for trying it out and keep the contraction of substances.

Basically, how do you guy's fit clothes in a bike shop fitting room =) Keep wearing the underwear or not?

·
Registered
938 Posts
You keep your underwear on when trying out clothes in a bike shop.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Yup

andulong said:
Have tried both, prefer shorts. I don't have a gut to hold up or in and prefer the convenience of shorts. Also the straps on the bibs can be a pain at times if they have a tendency to slide down or rub you the wrong way. It's personal preference like anything else.
What he said.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Supposedly, bibs allow for easier breathing.
Whatever you do, just don't go too cheaply - shorts or bibs. A lower panel count will assure a poor fit - sagging, buckling, or even shifting when you sit back down on the saddle. 8 panels are the gold standard. 6 panels are okay. 4 panels fit like a diaper! I had some cheap tights(name brand but low panel count) that would snag on the nose of my saddle when I would sit back down. A waste of money that should have been put towards better tights.
You may be poorer but you will never be disappointed for buying the best.
JMO

·
Too Old to Run...
233 Posts
I like bibs better because...

- Bibs stay up, I don't have to worry about any sag with bibs.
- There is no chance of showing my "maximus tanline"
- The bibs give a neater appearence since there is not waistline

The only advantage to shorts that I can think of is that some people find the straps on bibs uncomfortable and the material can cause others to be hot.

As many have noted, it's really about personal preference. For me it's bibs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.