Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, another potentially stupid question from the new guy but, what is the difference between shorts and bib shorts other than the rather obvious additional material (the suspender like part)? Does the extra material that loops up over your shoulders really make them much better/more desirable? I would think that bibs would be a giant pain in the ass if you needed to go to the washroom while you were wearing them...

·
Registered
179 Posts
In my experience, bibs tend to fit a bit better since the suspenders don't let the shorts sag or shift during your ride. That being said, I've owned a few pairs of high end bibs and I always have the same problem on long rides- chafed nipples! The straps rub them until they bleed on long rides. Yeah, you can solve that problem with a couple bandaids, but I have moved back to shorts. A good pair of shorts won't shift or sag on you anyways, at least in my experience which includes 8+ hour days in the saddle.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Bibs. Now pearl izumi elite or ale prr 2. I like the pearl izumis - can find them for $75 on amazon, they last for a long time, and are pretty comfortable. The ale are nice, but expensive. Mine have not worn as well as some other bibs I have used in the past.

Spend a lot of time of the bike. Usually about 220 to 300 miles per week. Ride 5-6 days per week for 8 months of the year. Nine centuries this year and one double. Never had a problem with chapped nips.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Bibs are generally more comfortable but as someone who has developed a middle aged bladder I can't wear them anymore. It is too much of a pain having to undress just to pee.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Bibs are generally more comfortable but as someone who has developed a middle aged bladder I can't wear them anymore. It is too much of a pain having to undress just to pee.
If you have to undress to pee while wearing bibs then you must have a very short willie or simply shouldn't be in charge of one of any length.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
There's a reason virtually 0% of people who log significant miles use bibs and not shorts. All else equal they are just far better.
The key to the pad working is it fitting snug to the skin and staying in place. Bibs are better for that. Even if you don't have a gut shorts can be uncomfortable around the waist band. I'd imagine extremely so with a gut.

Taking a wizz is a non issue. #2 is inconvenient only if you carry a lot of stuff in your pockets AND don't have a full length zipper on your jersey. Even then we are talking about 4 seconds of extra time. Hardly worth considering relative to the time on the bike.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
This shouldn't be that big of an issue. They are two techniques. The fastest is to pull down the bibs in front and run the plumbing over top. This works fine unless the bibs are cut really high. Option two is roll up one leg and go under

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
So, another potentially stupid question from the new guy but, what is the difference between shorts and bib shorts other than the rather obvious additional material (the suspender like part)? Does the extra material that loops up over your shoulders really make them much better/more desirable? I would think that bibs would be a giant pain in the ass if you needed to go to the washroom while you were wearing them...
Bibs are far superior. With shorts, they can tend to ride down. Unless you're super thin and have 0% belly. And even then, they don't stay up as well as bibs.
If you have a short torso though, bibs may not be any better unless you get the straps shortened. My wife has this problem. She's thin and short so she prefers shorts. Bibs never fit her.

I always have the same problem on long rides- chafed nipples! The straps rub them until they bleed on long rides.
What... wait.. what?? You might want to get that looked at by a Dr.
I have sensitive nipples and I've NEVER had them irritated by straps, let alone bleed! :eek: I've used most of the major bib brands. Never a sore nipple. Nor have I ever heard someone complain about that problem.

Undress to pee. Huh? You pull them down and hang it out. Hell, the pros do it while riding.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
This shouldn't be that big of an issue. They are two techniques. The fastest is to pull down the bibs in front and run the plumbing over top. This works fine unless the bibs are cut really high. Option two is roll up one leg and go under
Pro racers don't seem to have any problem at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Undress to pee. Huh? You pull them down and hang it out. Hell, the pros do it while riding.
Holy ****. If I tried that I would wreck either from not being coordinated enough or dying of laughter.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
If you have to undress to pee while wearing bibs then you must have a very short willie or simply shouldn't be in charge of one of any length.

And that is an LOL IRL...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I'm in the minority here, but I much prefer shorts. I've tried bibs and I couldn't deal with the chafing on my shoulders. Not to mention in warmer weather, it's just extra and unwelcome clothing on my back that is uncomfortably hot. I won't even get into the restroom break debate.

My shorts of choice are now Assos H.milleshorts_S7. I used to wear Pearl Izumi's top of the line shorts, but was getting saddle rash, so I decided to try something else. Problem gone! I don't know whether it is the quality of the chamois or the fact that the chamois in these are not stitched on the sides - this allows to chamois to stay with YOU even if the shorts shift. All I know is that they work. At $150 a pop, they're pricey, but worth it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used both and don't really have a preference. Currently, I have all shorts. Quality, comfortable versions of either are what you should aim for. I've never had an issue with good, properly fitting shorts working themselves down while riding though, which seems to be the chief benefit to bibs. Shorts are also a little less expensive, so it may allow for a nicer pair vs. bibs. As has been mentioned, a bib also has more material to hold in just that little bit more heat. It's minor, sure, but on a 100+ degree day, I'll take all the help I can get. My current favorite is the Performance Ultra (which is also available with built-in suspenders).

But... it you want to do it "properly", get bibs. That's what all the cool people are supposed to wear. :)

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
I'm kinda long in the trunk, and the 1 pair if bibs I own nearly strangle my cojones when I wear them. I even bought a 'cup' to use with them.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts