Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a new-to-me Cannondale, with a BB30 bottom bracket. I've read the threads about creaking noises.

Mine doesn't creak, but I can hear the bearings spinning. There's no play, and the cranks spin freely. It's just that I'm not used to the bottom bracket making any noise at all.

Does this indicate a problem, or is it just the nature of the design?

Thanks.
Output device Camera accessory Tints and shades Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
518 Posts
If these are ceramic bearings, there might be some rattle. If these are conventional bearings, then you may want to have these checked.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If these are ceramic bearings, there might be some rattle. If these are conventional bearings, then you may want to have these checked.
Any way to tell which type of bearings are in there? It's original equipment on a 2014 Super Six Evo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Any way to tell which type of bearings are in there? It's original equipment on a 2014 Super Six Evo.

Thanks.
If it's original, then it should have conventional bearings. These are usually packed in grease, so should be silent.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's original, then it should have conventional bearings. These are usually packed in grease, so should be silent.
I usually try to do my own wrenching...is this something I can address (re-packing them, or replacing them) myself, without special tools?

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
I can hear the bearings spinning. There's no play, and the cranks spin freely.
is this something I can address (re-packing them, or replacing them) myself, without special tools?
BB30 uses sealed cartridge bearings. They're really not made to repack, but you can.

If the bearings are spinning smoothly with no grinding/crunching, then they're probably in good shape and just lost their grease. You could pull the crank, pop the seals and re-grease them. Personally, I'd give it a go. You got nothing to lose and it's pretty easy to do. You could get a bunch more life from it.

This video from GCN shows how to do it with wheel hubs, but once you pull the crank, it's exactly the same for the BB.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I have a new-to-me Cannondale, with a BB30 bottom bracket. I've read the threads about creaking noises.

Mine doesn't creak, but I can hear the bearings spinning. There's no play, and the cranks spin freely. It's just that I'm not used to the bottom bracket making any noise at all.

The only noises you should hear when riding are the wind, the tires on the pavement, and maybe a tiny bit of chain noise.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was all set to take it to my local bike shop for new bearings, but first decided to spin the crank without the chain on it...when I do that, I don't hear a damn thing, and the cranks spins smoothly.

I'm thinking it's just chain noise.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
You should easily be able to differentiate between chain noise and 'other' possible BB30 noises.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should easily be able to differentiate between chain noise and 'other' possible BB30 noises.
Maybe if I was more experienced, or had stethoscope, I'd be able to.

Pedals are brand new. No noise if chain isn't on a chain ring. Don't know what else it could be beside the chain.

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Maybe if I was more experienced, or had stethoscope, I'd be able to.

Pedals are brand new. No noise if chain isn't on a chain ring. Don't know what else it could be beside the chain.
What CX is saying is chains make a distinct noise. Nothing else on a bike makes the noise of a chain. And they don't make a creaking noise as you described.

Spinning the crank without the chain only tells you the bearings are smooth. But you're not putting any torque on them. The BB could be creaking in the frame, which you can't tell with no torque.
The creaking could also be coming from your crank/chainrings, which you can't tell with no torque.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What CX is saying is chains make a distinct noise. Nothing else on a bike makes the noise of a chain. And they don't make a creaking noise as you described.

Spinning the crank without the chain only tells you the bearings are smooth. But you're not putting any torque on them. The BB could be creaking in the frame, which you can't tell with no torque.
The creaking could also be coming from your crank/chainrings, which you can't tell with no torque.
It's not creaking.

·
15,564 Posts
Let's see...You turn the crank and there is some noise. You stop, it stops. YouI take the chain off and spin the crank...no noise. You should at least be able to determine what chain noise is at that point.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks. View attachment 480896
All the creaking I have ever experienced from the crank area has come from the spider/chainrings/bolts.
Originally, I spent many hours on the bb30 brgs, but that was not the source of the creaking.
Whenever the creaking starts I always dis-assemble the chainrings, clean matting surfaces very well, grease matting surfaces, tighten bolts to correct torque using thread locker. No more creaking.
During this procedure I always check brgs for roughness, and free rotation of cranks.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
All the creaking I have ever experienced from the crank area has come from the spider/chainrings/bolts.
Originally, I spent many hours on the bb30 brgs, but that was not the source of the creaking.
Whenever the creaking starts I always dis-assemble the chainrings, clean matting surfaces very well, grease matting surfaces, tighten bolts to correct torque using thread locker. No more creaking.
During this procedure I always check brgs for roughness, and free rotation of cranks.
While chain rings and chain ring bolts can indeed be a source of creaking, the threads of the BB are another common source. Any threaded or contact surface can be a noise source.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just stop. The OP has already stated that it is not a creak, so why insist on trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

·
Registered
5 Posts
While chain rings and chain ring bolts can indeed be a source of creaking, the threads of the BB are another common source. Any threaded or contact surface can be a noise source.
I agree that threaded bb can creak, and removing, cleaning and applying anti-seize usually solves the problem as long as it rotates smoothly by hand with the cranks removed, but my remarks referred to bb30 system that doesn’t have threads.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just FYI - took the bike to a shop today to get the bars lowered, and while it was there had the tech check out the crank bearings.

They are fine. Just chain noise.

·
15,564 Posts
All you had to do to know that was pedal it in the stand, then take the chain off and spin the crank. If it made noise and then w/o the chain it's quiet there ya go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts